Planning for first AG brew, looking for a good Dry Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBUPIMP

Reaction score
I have done a few Dry Stout kits and all turned out great. But I was hoping someone had a great Dry Stout/(Guinness Clone) recipe I could try for my first AG brew.

I think general consensus is to make a beer with 70% pale malt, 20% flaked barley, and 10% roasted barley, aim for an OG of 1.040 and bitter to 38-40 IBU. That formula will make a great dry stout.

I think general consensus is to make a beer with 70% pale malt, 20% flaked barley, and 10% roasted barley, aim for an OG of 1.040 and bitter to 38-40 IBU. That formula will make a great dry stout.

Yep, will taste similar to Guinness

Aye! Keep it simple and you get a great dry stout. I'd add that my preference is to toss just a couple ounces of acid malt into the mix, keep my IBUs around 35 and my go-to yeast is WLP007 so you get a nice low finishing gravity but still retain a nice amount of body.

I've dicked around w/ adding chocolate malts, other specialty grains, FWH, other yeasts, etc but they are never as good as the basic recipe.

Awsome, thanks for great advice. I still have a small bit of AG equiptment to get, when I brew I will post the results.

Ye made a dry stout recently with same ratio as above and it turned out great. I used US-05 yeast The colour of roasted barley I am using here in Ireland is about 500 SRM. I notice that alot of US roasted barley in recipes here is quoted as 300 SRM. That fiure seems a bit low to me or maybe Ó Flannagáin Standard adds choc to get stout colour to 29 srm. Well here is a picture of mine from keg with nitro and better than Guinness im

DSC00069-1-1.jpg

Back