Planning a Single Tier Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTech117

Reaction score
OK so i'm planning to go to all grain and want to build a Single Tier System...

First thing I am wondering is what size metal should I use. At first I thought 1 1/4 Square tubing (I may try to run the LP inside a rail) but was told by some non brewer friends that that is too big and i'm gonna make it REALLY heavy.

So i got a quote on 1 inch 1/8th thick square tube.... price is right but feel like 1 inch will be too small....

I'm not worried about moving this thing around too much as eventually it will be placed in my basement / Root cellar Brewery (yes with a hood vent)

What do you guys and girls recommend for sizing? Would 1-1/4 X 1/8th thick work? or would you go with 1 inch?

Also worried about going with 1/8th thick if i'm gonna try to run propane thru the lower rail of this system.

Most people use 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch. I used 1 1/2 inch on mine when I was making my gas system. Those kettles or keggles (whichever you go with) will hold grain and wort and at a little over 8 pounds a gallon it adds up, and you want it to be stable. Mine is not that heavy and moves like a feather with castor wheels. Also people don't consider the thickness and some go 1/16 but if you want to drill into it and tap it for screws, for mounting burners, pumps or whatever, you will need 1/8 inch to take a tap, as 1/16 will not work. Mine is set up to run gas through the bottom rail like Lonnie Mac designed his Brutus, and it doesn't leak and works great. Many on here frown on this though and run gas through a pipe. If done correctly the bottom rail will work but the welds have to be spot on and leak free. I changed my set up and I went electric but still use the same stand. Just some things to keep in mind.....Good luck on the build!

John

Thank you jacv.

I think I will go bigger than the 1 inch that my lhbs said theirs is built with seemed small to me.

I build all ours out of 1 1/2" Stainless. I like the .060 wall tubing. It just seems to be a good mix of heaftyness (If that's a word) and cost.

Good luck on the build.

Cheers
Jay

I build all ours out of 1 1/2" Stainless. I like the .060 wall tubing. It just seems to be a good mix of heaftyness (If that's a word) and cost.

Good luck on the build.

Cheers
Jay

Wish I had the talent to do it in stainless!! Maybe next one.

When I built my Brutus inspired single tier rig, I used 2" square tube with .060 wall and it's worked great, very easy to move around on casters, not heavy at all, the 2" x 1/4" is likely similar or lighter weight than 1" x 1/4" wall pipe (easy to enough to lookup).

If you're using gas, a common rail gas supply is great if you have the skills to do it or someone to do it for you, I tried and couldn't get it to hold pressure, so eventually accepted defeat and used 1/2" npt black iron pipe to create a supply manifold.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back