Planning a Chocolate Stout, how does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Extract Brew - Boiling 24l, expect to get 21l in to primary

Grains Steeped:
200g Roasted Barley
200g Chocolate Malt
100g Black Malt

3kg of Light DME
35g of Northdown @ 60 minutes.
200-250g Cocoa Powder @ 10 minutes.

Safale us-04 Yeast

First time doing a stout, figured I'd make it a chocolate one. How does this recipe look look guys? Sorry if the metric bugs you!

Thanks,
Graeme

Not sure how grams convert to ounces, but I just did a chocolate stout, actually a "double" choc stout where I added 8 ounces to the boil. 4 at 10min and 4 at 0 min. So far, it is in the secondary for 2 weeks now. It looks great and smells great if you are looking for Hershey Syrup. I think that I overkilled the amount of cocoa that I put in, but only time will tell. It has about 2 more weeks in the secondary and then I think I might bottle age for a minimum of 2 months before I try it.

damn metrc system, it makes so much sense yet is so painful to covert. you'll have to up date this thread, my next batch will be an extract double chocolate stout so i'm trying to gain as much knowledge as i can. good luck

Doing the conversions in my head, it looks pretty good. I don't know anything about Northdown hops, what's the AA on them?

Extract Brew - Boiling 24l, expect to get 21l in to primary

Grains Steeped:
200g Roasted Barley
200g Chocolate Malt
100g Black Malt

3kg of Light DME
35g of Northdown @ 60 minutes.
200-250g Cocoa Powder @ 10 minutes.

Safale us-04 Yeast

First time doing a stout, figured I'd make it a chocolate one. How does this recipe look look guys? Sorry if the metric bugs you!

Thanks,
Graeme

.5lb Roasted Barley
.5lb Chocolate Malt
.25lb Black Malt

6.6lbs DME (use dark malt extract)
1.2oz Hops
~.6 Coco

OG estimate of about 1.059

Should be fine, very dark and roasty. I changed the extract to dark malt.

I've been advised strongly against Dark DME, and to get the colour from my grains. I suppose it is arguable whether this point is right or wrong...Northdown are an English variety, AA 8.1%

Also, rather than use Cocoa powder in the boil, I think I am going to go with cocoa nibs in the secondary for two weeks

I've been advised strongly against Dark DME, and to get the colour from my grains. I suppose it is arguable whether this point is right or wrong...Northdown are an English variety, AA 8.1%

Will steeping the grains get you the color you are looking for? I'm +1 on Dark DME

Well to be honest, I'm yet to hear anybody advocating Dark DME over Pale DME, any advice I have been given about doing a stout invovled achieveing my colour with grains, Dark DME will produce allot of Caramel falvours, which I don't neccesarily want for this stout

Well to be honest, I'm yet to hear anybody advocating Dark DME over Pale DME, any advice I have been given about doing a stout invovled achieveing my colour with grains, Dark DME will produce allot of Caramel falvours, which I don't neccesarily want for this stout

Give it a try it with the pale or light. I'm interested to see how it turns out!

My stout started as a youngs double choc stout clone and they recommended light extracts as well... so i dont think your hurting anything by not going dark, that being said dark might add some nice flavors, if i like it this way i may try dark DME nect time...

I would go with the palest DME you can find, and get your color from speciality grains. The challenge with using DME other than pale is figuring out what grains were in the mash to create the spraymalt in the first place.

And Flyangler18, do you think I would achieve a good dark brew with the the amount of grains I am using? 500g (1.1lb)

And Flyangler18, do you think I would achieve a good dark brew with the the amount of grains I am using? 500g (1.1lb)

I don't think you'll have any problems getting the color you're after with all those roasted malts! I think it will be quite nice.

Jason

Plug it all in to Beer Recipator. it'll give you the SRM. i'm going to use light LME on my double stout and let the steeped grains take over the color issues

Back