Place cider in hibernation mode?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kXb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started up my cider a week ago and it is still very active. Used Red Star Cote Des Blancs, yeast nutrient, and temp is regulated at 65 degrees. It's possible I will have to leave town when it's time to rack to secondary and my housemates aren't able to assist.

Would it cause a problem if I dropped the temp down while I'm gone to put things in hibernation so to speak or should I just rack to secondary even if gravity isn't where I want it to be yet?

Thanks in advance

it's absolutely fine to leave it in primary for such a short time.

To give you a little perspective, I started a cider last august, let is sit in primary for 2-3 months, then racked it to secondary where it currently sits. And now it tastes amazing.

Bottom line, you can always add age to cider and it'll get better.

it's absolutely fine to leave it in primary for such a short time.

To give you a little perspective, I started a cider last august, let is sit in primary for 2-3 months, then racked it to secondary where it currently sits. And now it tastes amazing.

Bottom line, you can always add age to cider and it'll get better.

+1, you'll be doing yourself a favor by letting it sit in the yeast.

I let mine sit for about 4 weeks before transferring to secondary. It sat there for 3 months. Cote de Blanc will make it extremely dry, mine started at 1.070 and finished at 0.989.

Great to know. My lhbs said this yeast would result in a sweeter finish than English Cider Yeast! Oh well. I guess this will be a good time for me to experiment with back sweetening.

I back sweetened mine this evening. 10.7%ABV was just too dry and too wine like for what I was going for. After adding brown sugar, cinnamon and more pasteurized juice, it is at 8.1% ABV and has just the right amount of sweetness and tartness to taste very close to apple pie filling.

Back