Quantcast

Place cider in hibernation mode?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kXb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I started up my cider a week ago and it is still very active. Used Red Star Cote Des Blancs, yeast nutrient, and temp is regulated at 65 degrees. It's possible I will have to leave town when it's time to rack to secondary and my housemates aren't able to assist.

Would it cause a problem if I dropped the temp down while I'm gone to put things in hibernation so to speak or should I just rack to secondary even if gravity isn't where I want it to be yet?

Thanks in advance

vinylrooster

Reaction score
it's absolutely fine to leave it in primary for such a short time.

To give you a little perspective, I started a cider last august, let is sit in primary for 2-3 months, then racked it to secondary where it currently sits. And now it tastes amazing.

Bottom line, you can always add age to cider and it'll get better.

Reactions: kXb

ChefRex

I once had a thought,
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
it's absolutely fine to leave it in primary for such a short time.

To give you a little perspective, I started a cider last august, let is sit in primary for 2-3 months, then racked it to secondary where it currently sits. And now it tastes amazing.

Bottom line, you can always add age to cider and it'll get better.
+1, you'll be doing yourself a favor by letting it sit in the yeast.

CA_Mouse

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I let mine sit for about 4 weeks before transferring to secondary. It sat there for 3 months. Cote de Blanc will make it extremely dry, mine started at 1.070 and finished at 0.989.

OP
kXb

kXb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Great to know. My lhbs said this yeast would result in a sweeter finish than English Cider Yeast! Oh well. I guess this will be a good time for me to experiment with back sweetening.

CA_Mouse

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I back sweetened mine this evening. 10.7%ABV was just too dry and too wine like for what I was going for. After adding brown sugar, cinnamon and more pasteurized juice, it is at 8.1% ABV and has just the right amount of sweetness and tartness to taste very close to apple pie filling.

MindenMan

Reaction score
CA Mouse, now that you have back sweetened, what are you going to do about stopping fermentation?