Plaato Digital Airlock Hands on Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a couple Plaato digital airlocks from Plaato a couple months back to do a hands-on trial/review. I did a bit of research on the science behind what they're doing and on a chemistry basis, it's solid. I ran into a number of application constraints for my fermentation equipment. If you're interested in checking out what I found, the link to my review is posted below.

Let me know if anyone has any questions beyond what I may have included in my review.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2019/0...fi-fermentation-analyzer-for-homebrewing.html

I was gifted one over the holidays. It's currently on my 2nd brew. I am using glass carboys and didn't observe any leaks. I'll post an update after I keg both brews. so far I am very happy with the Plaato.

Wow man. You set it up so it leaked, you put it on something with inadequate headspace, and then it never worked anyway.
Better luck next time.

You set it up so it leaked, you put it on something with inadequate headspace, and then it never worked anyway.

It seems like you read the review, so you are aware that my attempts to try to cobble something together in a system with Fermonster + BrewJacket was too leaky and didn't work. And you're aware that I did have some hyper-active fermentations that in hindsight needed a blow-off tube instead of an airlock. Those are both true statements.

You skipped over the fermentations in my SS BrewBucket that although the fermentor bubbles through the airlock, and draws a vaccuum during cold crash when I replace the airlock with a one-way valve (BrewJacket valve), the Plaato does not map gravity drop accurately. I'm not sure if you're lumping this in with the "set it up so it leaked" comment?

When I concluded my fermentors/fermentation temp control systems were not compatible with the Plaato, I got two fellow brewers to give them a try. They also were not successful for other reasons. I definitely would've preferred to have a successful fermentation so I could contrast what works versus what doesn't and share that info with people. Unfortunately, I was met with multiple attempts of not working. So I tried to explain what was supposed to work based on feedback from Plaato, so people could see if their set-ups were compatible.

Back