pizza stone vs HD slab of rock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galek

Reaction score
Do people have strong preferences to store bought pizza stones vs getting a piece of rock from Home Depot? I am sure there will be stories of each one cracking, but I was wondering if store bought ones get enough votes to be deemed worth the money.

I currently have a pizza stone and love it. With as much use as it gets, and after someone soaked it in soapy water I really could use another.

Thanks for the replies

I use a stone made by American Metalcraft and like it very much. They're around 50.00 but they're thicker than the ones you get at Target or Wal-mart, which IMO makes a better pizza because of better heat retention, especially if you're baking several pies. They're made of Cordierite instead of clay. Much less prone to cracking. I leave mine on the bottom rack pretty much all the time.
As for stone, I've heard soapstone is great for this purpose but I don't know where to get it. It's probably very expensive too.
Some folks I know have used unglazed quarry tiles and fire-brick splits with good results.

Does someone knew where I could get unglazed quarry tiles or saltillo mexican tiles for this purpose? I've looked but never seen them at HD or Lowes. I'd only want a few and not a giant box that they'd probably want me to buy at a tile store.

I have a 12 year old stone. When it breaks, I'm going to cry. It's thick, heavy and large. and really dirty.... :)

I got mine at HD. Couldn't tell you where exactly...I just asked someone working there I think.

Actually, I have to get another one soon since I left the old one at our old house when we moved last month.

I have used pizza stones and broken them, so i started buying terra cotta pot saucers from HD. I turn them upside-down and use them as pizza stones. Cheap, heavy duty, and effective!

Latest posts

Back