Pizza dough, and washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCericola

Reaction score
I'm in the process of washing my yeast, and I've read a bit on making bread from the yeast. The one thing I can never seem to nail down is how much yeast. I realize ale yeast isn't conditioned to rise quickly so it needs longer, but does it need more yeast?

For example, if my recipe for dough calls for 1 tablespoon, is it 1 tablespoon of the ale yeast as well?

I've tried starting a response three times and keep deleting. Man.. put some yeast in, ya a couple table spoons . The yeast are going to grow. How long it takes them you'll have to find out by waiting.. But when it' ready, if you have any experience in baking bread, you'll know by it's siZe the dough is ready for a punch down re-knead and set before making into a loaf.

Reading what I wrote I probably sound like an a$$. But seriously, give it a shot.

Yeast are pretty darn tough whether they are bread yeast or beer yeast. Just treat them well, let them enjoy a nice temp to do their thing in and give them time.

When brewing beer or bread making the yeast need to be taken care of. They do all the work.

I've tried to make sourdough from yeast from my berliner weisse . It never rose properly. I did make it, but it wasn't as sour as I wanted. Tried to grow a SD starter for weeks.

I expected it to go crazy and I'd have to punch it back down, but no.

Good luck, hope you are more successful than I was.

(BTW, I make a mean thin & crispy from pizzamaking.com; great site for everything pizza)

Back