Pittsburgh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone spotted Hopslam on tap in the Pittsburgh area? I know most of the bottles have come and went (still a few at Caliente's and Carson Street Deli if i'm not mistaken), but I'm looking to have it on tap again this year. My buddy hasn't had it before and I figured it'd be cool to introduce him with a fresh pour at Happy Hour or something.

We have it in bottles where I work if you get stuck. I'll hook you up with a TB discount. Have not heard of any draft sightings.

Does anyone know if Fat Head's Hop JuJu will be sold outside of the saloon in Southside? Like say, Giant Eagle? Or basically where to find 4 packs of it? I saw that the Southside location received 4 packs on Friday, but they said there were limited quantities and I figured that they are all gone by now.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if Fat Head's Hop JuJu will be sold outside of the saloon in Southside? Like say, Giant Eagle? Or basically where to find 4 packs of it? I saw that the Southside location received 4 packs on Friday, but they said there were limited quantities and I figured that they are all gone by now.

Thanks.

From what I read/heard it was ONLY available at the restaurant, and it was limited to 2 4 packs a person. I don't think anyone else got it; at least for now.

I'm kicking myself, too. I work on the South Side during the day, and was going to stop over, but totally forgot until later that night.

From what I read/heard it was ONLY available at the restaurant, and it was limited to 2 4 packs a person. I don't think anyone else got it; at least for now.

I'm kicking myself, too. I work on the South Side during the day, and was going to stop over, but totally forgot until later that night.

If it makes you feel any better, I talked to the manager at Fat Head's last night and he said that the 4 packs were sold out by 1pm on Friday. They are getting another shipment of Hop JuJu for sale in 4 pack format on the 21st (this Friday). Limit of 2 per customer.

Would anyone be interested in possibly sharing some brews the weekend of April 19th-20th? If so, any idea where I could open bottles to share?

Wouldn't mind just meeting at Smokin' Joes, Fat Heads or even D's for a beer as well.

Last edited:
Would anyone be interested in possibly sharing some brews the weekend of April 19th-20th? If so, any idea where I could open bottles to share?

Wouldn't mind just meeting at Smokin' Joes, Fat Heads or even D's for a beer as well.

When you planning on coming in? I have the Friday night shift at the bottle shop I work at; wouldn't mind some fellow traders hanging out and talking brews.

I'll be in Pittsburgh for the half marathon on Sunday. I've made a list of the suggestions that were made in this thread so I'll have to plan accordingly depending on what area we head out to after the race. A couple questions regarding Fat Head's:

1. Do they sell bottles at the saloon? If not, head over to Buddy's or Sav-Mor?
2. Do they fill growlers? If so, the growler can be from a different brewery right?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I'll be in Pittsburgh for the half marathon on Sunday. I've made a list of the suggestions that were made in this thread so I'll have to plan accordingly depending on what area we head out to after the race. A couple questions regarding Fat Head's:

1. Do they sell bottles at the saloon? If not, head over to Buddy's or Sav-Mor?
2. Do they fill growlers? If so, the growler can be from a different brewery right?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
They sell bottles upstairs in their little store (definitely 4 and 6 packs of their beers, and I think they let you mix and match 6-packs as well). They do indeed fill other brewery growlers, but only 64 oz/2L screwtops IIRC. Make sure your growler has the government warning on it just in case.

They sell bottles upstairs in their little store (definitely 4 and 6 packs of their beers, and I think they let you mix and match 6-packs as well). They do indeed fill other brewery growlers, but only 64 oz/2L screwtops IIRC. Make sure your growler has the government warning on it just in case.
Thank you very much.

Pittsburgh folks, I'll be in the area next week. Are there any cool beers getting tapped, bottles getting released, or shipments coming in? Anything out of the usual?

Pittsburgh folks, I'll be in the area next week. Are there any cool beers getting tapped, bottles getting released, or shipments coming in? Anything out of the usual?

House of 1000 beers have 750s of cantillon. I grabbed the last Lou Pepe, but they had iris, classic, kriek, and rose. Pricey, though. It's also a hike from the city, but worth checking out if you have time.

I was at Fat Head's not too long ago. They only had a random shelf up there with a scattering of beers. I talked to the kid working the counter up there. He said that their cooler kicked the bucket and there were no plans to repair/replace it. They had already pulled the old one out. Looks like they will not be doing carry out bottles any more.

I will be spending most of 8/1 on the south side of Pittsburgh with my wife and we will have a car. It looks like Fatheads is the place to go for lunch and beers on Friday. I'll probably pick up a case of Head Hunter somewhere, but other than that, what should I seek out? I'm a big fan of DIPA's, IPA's and anything that has spent time in a barrel.
I checked seekabrew and there are too many breweries not available in MD to list. Suggestions? Any brewery tours we should check out?

I will be spending most of 8/1 on the south side of Pittsburgh with my wife and we will have a car. It looks like Fatheads is the place to go for lunch and beers on Friday. I'll probably pick up a case of Head Hunter somewhere, but other than that, what should I seek out? I'm a big fan of DIPA's, IPA's and anything that has spent time in a barrel.
I checked seekabrew and there are too many breweries not available in MD to list. Suggestions? Any brewery tours we should check out?
Fatheads is a great choice for lunch and beers. Down the street is Carson St. deli they usually have some good Voodoo beers on tap as well as bottles to go.I don't know which bars have it on tap now But if you can find Helltown Idle Hands DIPA get it. Such a great great beer maybe Beer Menu's could help you out. Case of Fatheads you can get up the street at Buddy's Brews on Carson, I think they run about 50$ there. As far as breweries go I'd go 15 mins from the Southside to Lawrenceville to Roundabout Brewery. Small place but you can get pints there or fill growlers they have a great DIPA on called Unnatural Love with Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin Hops. Another very good IPA they have is Pacific Ring with Nelson and Cascade. They may have their barrel aged stout on as well still. The brewer/owner and his wife work there and are very friendly.

Fatheads is a great choice for lunch and beers. Down the street is Carson St. deli they usually have some good Voodoo beers on tap as well as bottles to go.I don't know which bars have it on tap now But if you can find Helltown Idle Hands DIPA get it. Such a great great beer maybe Beer Menu's could help you out. Case of Fatheads you can get up the street at Buddy's Brews on Carson, I think they run about 50$ there. As far as breweries go I'd go 15 mins from the Southside to Lawrenceville to Roundabout Brewery. Small place but you can get pints there or fill growlers they have a great DIPA on called Unnatural Love with Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin Hops. Another very good IPA they have is Pacific Ring with Nelson and Cascade. They may have their barrel aged stout on as well still. The brewer/owner and his wife work there and are very friendly.

Thanks for all the great info. I actually stopped at the Helltown brewery last year but they didn't have any Idle Hands at the time, so I'll keep an eye out for it. Looks like the barrel aged old ale at Roundabout is sold out.

Have there been any Hop Juju or IBUsive sightings in the area lately?

Thanks for all the great info. I actually stopped at the Helltown brewery last year but they didn't have any Idle Hands at the time, so I'll keep an eye out for it. Looks like the barrel aged old ale at Roundabout is sold out.
Have there been any Hop Juju or IBUsive sightings in the area lately?

Absolutely keep an eye out for it. Some place is bound to have some on when you are here.
No I really wish there was the last IBUsive was a few months ago and Juju hasn't been out since beginning of spring.

At Fatheads now, we ended up staying at Omni William Penn. I saw a place near there called Sal's with Dogfish Head and Victory signs in the window. Worth a stop?

Has anyone been to HopFarm? I am considering going when I am up there Labor Day weekend. I have a Margot, but haven't opened it yet. I really hope they still have Cherry Tart for growler fill when/if I visit.

Has anyone been to HopFarm? I am considering going when I am up there Labor Day weekend. I have a Margot, but haven't opened it yet. I really hope they still have Cherry Tart for growler fill when/if I visit.
I've been to HopFarm and wasn't impressed. I'd rather go to Roundabout right down the street. Better setup and better beers overall IMO. Doesn't take long to see HopFarm though as it's similar to East End where they just do tasters and growler fills right now (though I think they were working on getting a permit to serve pints? Not sure).

I've been to HopFarm and wasn't impressed. I'd rather go to Roundabout right down the street. Better setup and better beers overall IMO. Doesn't take long to see HopFarm though as it's similar to East End where they just do tasters and growler fills right now (though I think they were working on getting a permit to serve pints? Not sure).
Ok cool, I have a bottle from Roundabout that I haven't opened yet either. Maybe I'll just go there instead, or just go to both if I have time, which I should.

If you have some free time, or will be in PGH, let me know. I can bring some beers for you or us to share.

I agree with Roundabout over Hop Farm. Roundabout has a good vibe and the beers are the best in Pittsburgh right now, or atleast me and my wallet seem to think so. They have gotten better and better with each new batch of everything and they have a good mixture of different styles that are all good to great.

The HopFarm IPA is a solid canned IPA option when its available and their Cherry Tart sour was nice too. I wasnt overly impressed with Margot however.

Sorry, I missed your question. But my opinion is probably along the lines of Evahflow. Its not bracingly tart/sour, but solid and refreshing. Apparently they've got a version with raspberries as well.
Im excited about the rasberry version. I think it's getting put on this weekend. I think the rasberries will round it out real nice and make it a lot better, not that it was bad or anything.

Helltown finally releasing their Kriek. From Facebook:

Release date for the Kriek is September 13th!
Opening the doors at 11:00 AM - closing at 6:00 PM
We expect it to sell quickly so make arrangements to be here or enlist a friend. Any that has not sold will be offered during our normal hours the following week.

Remember this is a sour, dry, cherry Belgian style beer. This particular one has been aged for over 3 years, which is extremely rare in the US. Even most Belgian versions are mixed with differing vintages, thus lowering the effective age.

Therefore the price will be $30 per 750ml bottle.

Depending on the line when we start, we might limit the number of cases a single person can purchase. We will need to wing it as this is our first time with an offering of this magnitude.

If anyone has an extra, I can so an IP during the first week of October.
Helltown finally releasing their Kriek. From Facebook:

Release date for the Kriek is September 13th!
Opening the doors at 11:00 AM - closing at 6:00 PM
We expect it to sell quickly so make arrangements to be here or enlist a friend. Any that has not sold will be offered during our normal hours the following week.

Remember this is a sour, dry, cherry Belgian style beer. This particular one has been aged for over 3 years, which is extremely rare in the US. Even most Belgian versions are mixed with differing vintages, thus lowering the effective age.

Therefore the price will be $30 per 750ml bottle.

Depending on the line when we start, we might limit the number of cases a single person can purchase. We will need to wing it as this is our first time with an offering of this magnitude.

Thinking about hitting up Roundabout and HopFarm this Saturday. If anyone wants to meet, trade or have me pick some NC stuff up for them, let me know.

Back