pitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steez

Reaction score
this is my first post... and its a "did i ruin my brew" thread. i think it should be simple enough for someone to answer;

i'm concerned that i may have re-hydrated my yeast too early. i read the instructions which stated that the yeast should be prepared around 30 minutes before pitching, then after about an hour of preparing the wort, realized that the yeast had been sitting out for the entire time. i checked online for methods of proofing the yeast to make sure it was still alive, and saw that i could feed it a little sugar to see if it was still active. i gave the yeast a 1/4 table spoon of corn sugar, and saw that it was still active. my wort was still too hot to pitch the yeast, so i put the yeast in the fridge to let it sit and (i thought) help it last a little longer. after about another 30 minutes (hour and a half total) i finally pitched the yeast. i pulled it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temp for a bit, then added it to the wort (which was about 68 degrees).

that was at about 8:30 last night. it's 3:30 the next day now, and it still hasn't bubbled or anything yet... its at about 72 degrees.

I wouldn't be worried, personally. Most of my brews seem to take 2 days before they get going, and that'd be in a hotter environment than yours I'm sure. :)

Also, remember that it may not bubble at all! If your fermenter isn't entirely sealed, air can escape and prevent bubbling from happening. You can go through an entire brew without a bubble.

See what's happening with it tomorrow, and post back then.

Putting it in the fridge and taking it back out probably shocked the yeast. Don't worry though, it's just going to take them a little longer to wake up than it would have otherwise. No need to worry unless it has been a few days and nothing has started (although faster IS better). Just make sure it stays at a steady temp, and all should be well. :mug:

thanks guys! i'll check up on it again at lunch today and see how things are.

Back