Pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpume

Reaction score
Hello brewers I will be brewing a lager beer next week and there are few things I need to know ,firstly at what temperatures should I pitch my dry yeast on to the wort, secondly should I use 2 packets of yeast on a 25 liter fermenter or should I just do yeast rehydrate using 1 packet??? Will be using WLP 830. Thank you in advance

WLP830 is not dry yeast, it is a liquid yeast, so I'd make a starter. How big of a starter will depend on your expected OG. Pitch and ferment around 50°-55°F.

Do you know what the estimated OG of your beer will be? How many gallons do you expect to put in to your fermenter (you mentioned it's a 6.6gal fermenter, but you won't want to fill it up all the way unless you plan on using a blowoff tube)? These two things affect how big of a starter you'll need to make (or, alternatively, how many yeast vials to buy).

Pitching too little yeast and pitching at too high of a temperature are the biggest two errors you can make when brewing a lager.

Use a calculator like this one:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

WLP830 is a liquid yeast; roughly 100 billion cells if fresh.
This is lager yeast, you will need close to 400 billion cells to start with.
The calculator should help you build your starter.

As far as temperature, I would pitch at the low end of the recommended fermentation temperature.
This looks to be 50F (10C) per white labs website.

Thank you for the advice ..I prefer using dry yeast ,another Question should I do my diacetyl after or before adding hops?

WLP830 is not dry yeast, it is a liquid yeast, so I'd make a starter. How big of a starter will depend on your expected OG. Pitch and ferment around 50°-55°F.
If my OG would be around 1,040 to 1,050 how many packets would I need for the starter

Thanks buddy ...but since I will be using the dry yeast I have researched and decided to go wit the w 34/70

Thanks buddy ...but since I will be using the dry yeast I have researched and decided to go wit the w 34/70

Sounds good. If it were an ale, I'd say you could just sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort, but since it's a lager, I'd definitely rehydrate before pitching. I'd also probably go with at least 2 packets of yeast.

Thank you for the advice ..I prefer using dry yeast ,another Question should I do my diacetyl after or before adding hops?

Are you dry hopping? If so, then I'd add them around the time you raise the temp for the D-rest.

Last edited:
When using a dry yeast, do not make a starter. Dry yeast is engineered to just be rehydrated. It is said that pitching dry yeast into a wort will kill off up to half of the cells so when your starter finishes you might be back to the same cell count that was originally in the pack. It also uses up nutrients and other energizers that were engineered into the yeast. Dry yeast is cheap - use more yeast.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Use this calculator to determine how much yeast to use.

If you use the brewer's friend calculator you will need about 4 packs of dry yeast.
Mr Malty says you need 2 packs of yeast.

You do need to re-hydrate, follow the directions on the back of the yeast pack.
Buy enough yeast to keep from having to do a starter.

Thank you team ..will update you once I start wt the process[emoji482]

[QUOTE="mredge73, post: 8217662, member: 80881"]If you use the brewer's friend calculator you will need about 4 packs of dry yeast.
Mr Malty says you need 2 packs of yeast.

You do need to re-hydrate, follow the directions on the back of the yeast pack.
Buy enough yeast to keep from having to do a starter.[/QUOTE]

I find these pitch rate calculators interesting in the light of a post by Gordon Strong who has said he often pitches a single pack of liquid yeast, no starter involved, into his lagers. How can he make acceptable lagers with so little yeast when the calculator say you need several packets of dry yeast or a big starter with liquid yeast.

I realize that Brulosophy has done this on an ale instead of a lager but the results should be somewhat transferable. http://brulosophy.com/2015/04/20/yeast-pitch-rate-single-vial-vs-yeast-starter-exbeeriment-results/

The calculators use data collected from multiple sources. I don't know the folks that pulled these together or who provided the info; I just assume that they are smarter than me when it comes to yeast.

I have made acceptable lagers with a single pack and no starter; but they certainty were not world class. BMC folks wouldn't touch it.
These calculators also mimic what the pros are doing somewhat; this doesn't always translate down to home brew size batches.
I personally use 1 dry pack for Ales and 2 for Lagers unless I am doing Belgium beers. I break out the liquid yeast, stir plate, and fancy calculators for my award winning Belgium beers.

Back