pitching yeast too soon???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat King

Reaction score
I've brewed a few batches already, but have a question based on a potential mistake i made last night.

I brewed a Belgian Wit, smelled yummy, but while i was cooling my wort in my bathtub ice bath i realized i had forgotten to remove my liquid yeast from the fridge. so i pulled it out, combined my cooled wort with drinking water to get the level up around 5 gallons, and waited about an hour before pitching the yeast. was supposed to wait 3 hours as the 'test tube' of yeast stated. was that a huge mistake? i still aerated the wort, shook the bucket etc. as of now i have no airlock activity, but its only been about 14 hours since pitching. did i make a big mistake? i should have just waited it out. :mad: thanks to all

cold pitching? sorry i searched around some more and it seems it'll be okay. however, it seems cold pitching gets quicker airlock activity/fermentation, whereas mine isnt going that way...

Pitching temp isn't as important as the temp difference between the yeast and the wort. You don't want something right out of the fridge to go into 80 degree wort (How would you like it!?).

I think you will be fine. And don't start working about arilock activity until at least tomorrow night.
:mug:

LOTS of people pitch yeast tubes straight from the fridge. You should be fine. I use starters, but have been guilty myself of throwing smack packs too soon. Just takes a bit longer. RDWHAHB

Yeasts are fairly tough and even if you kill 90% of them, it will only delay the ferment's start 12-24 hours. The closer you follow the directions, the faster the ferment starts.

Back