Pitching yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65chevy11

Reaction score
Wanted to know if it would be okay to pitch a yeast starter that is still fermenting. There is a pretty good Krausen but foam and activity still happening.

:rockin:

Forgot to add it's going in a Strawberry blonde and with a gravity of about 1.051 and the yeast i'm using is the White Labs WLP080 cream ale blend.

Mine was the same way. Active is good,especially since you've got krausen,which is yeast foam. I've read others pitching at that point. So I just stirred it up & pitched it. But mine was only about 1 1/2C. It was for a 1.044 wort,so I figured that was fine. Workin great so far.

That is fine. Some people even feel it's ideal to pitch at high krausen. I've done it every which way. I can't say it's made a big difference one way or another.

How long has the starter been working? anything is more then what it started it. I've thrown starter in as early as around 6 hours. Obviously its better with 24-48 hours of reproduction to work with.
1.051 is not an overly big beer so even pitching a liquid vial as is, or a dry packet will work against that level of OG. - it just takes longer to go to town on it.
You can either give it 12-24 hrs and pitch, or do it now. I don't think either option will make much difference in overall fermentation time. plus or minus one day when your waiting around a week anyway...Starters are more help with big beers - over 1.060 (just as a general rule).
if you had a higher OG I would suggest growing more starter.

Home brew TV's doing a multi show thing on yeast. He said it's like 1 million yeast cells per milliliter of wort. Whatever amount that is...

Back