Pitching yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
Palmer says it's OK (maybe preferable) to pour off some of the liquid on top of the yeast layer before pitching. Today, I brewed up an English brown ale (extract kit) and did a starter (as per the directions on the package) using Wyeast British 1098 that I started Friday night. It had made a nice white yeast layer but when I was ready to pitch, it was still cloudy and the airlock still bubbling, so I pitched the whole thing (a little over a quart of liquid, slurry and all). Any issues in a 5 gallon batch by doing this?

Thanks!!!

Nope, like so many aspects of this hobby there are more than one way to skin a cat, and dumping all your slurry in is one of them.....Others cold crash and decant, others just decant half, others decant all, some pitch it all in like you did, and all methods make beer.

None whatsoever. Many people (myself included) do that. If I were to make a 1/2g or greater starter, I would probable decant the liquid and just pitch the slurry.

-a.

Back