Pitching yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish83

Reaction score
I received a mason jar of yeast from a commercial brewer. A friend got it and they just pulled it from the bottom of the fermenter. It's a day old and has been in my fridge. Anything wrong with just pitching the whole thing since it's so fresh? Should I wash/rinse? Do I need a starter?

Thanks

I received a mason jar of yeast from a commercial brewer. A friend got it and they just pulled it from the bottom of the fermenter. It's a day old and has been in my fridge. Anything wrong with just pitching the whole thing since it's so fresh? Should I wash/rinse? Do I need a starter?

Thanks
The fresher the better! Did you see any separation yet? You can save the liquid yeast off the top and discard the sediment on the bottom.

The fresher the better! Did you see any separation yet? You can save the liquid yeast off the top and discard the sediment on the bottom.
I’ve never made a starter from my saved yeast, never had to.

I’ve never made a starter from my saved yeast, never had to.
Here's the separation
IMG_20180513_135847.jpeg

Ooh, looks good. Use that liquid off the top, keep as much of the sludge out of it as possible and you should be good.

If that is a pint jar you could probably just dump it all into fermentor, but it would not hurt to carefully drain some of the beer in the middle and use the stuff on the top and bottom.

If that is a pint jar you could probably just dump it all into fermentor, but it would not hurt to carefully drain some of the beer in the middle and use the stuff on the top and bottom.
Yeah i should have been more clear, the middle is beer, underneath that is the highest concentration of yeast on top of the sediment which you don’t need/want. I do not believe you want the top foam though...

If that's a pint jar, shake it up and use all of it. If it's a quart jar, maybe shake it up and use half?

That's yeast on the bottom (looks pretty clean) and yeast on the top, and beer in the middle. The foam is the best part; if you can make a starter you could just dip the foam out with a sanitized spoon and use that to seed the starter; save the rest of the jar for later.

Did they say what yeast it it?

If that's a pint jar, shake it up and use all of it. If it's a quart jar, maybe shake it up and use half?

That's yeast on the bottom (looks pretty clean) and yeast on the top, and beer in the middle. The foam is the best part; if you can make a starter you could just dip the foam out with a sanitized spoon and use that to seed the starter; save the rest of the jar for later.

Did they say what yeast it it?
Yea I pitched the whole thing. I sent an email to get some additional info on the strain as I wasn't there to pick it up. Thanks everyone!

Back