Pitching yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevestone1988

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I brewed a Dark Strong ale on June 26th, switched to secondary July 10th. O.G was 1.107; F.G. 1.027. Going to pitch yeast to ensure carbonation but not sure how much. I used Wyeast 1214. Should I use the same strain, use some US-05? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You probably don't need much. 1/2 pack should be plenty. You can also use wine yeast, which is cheaper. Just don't use a yeast that is more attenuative than your primary strain. I toss a dash of nutrient in the priming solution with big beers, too.

Hey everyone,

I brewed a Dark Strong ale on June 26th, switched to secondary July 10th. O.G was 1.107; F.G. 1.027. Going to pitch yeast to ensure carbonation but not sure how much. I used Wyeast 1214. Should I use the same strain, use some US-05? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think using the same strain makes sense. Just seems like a better idea than going with something else, unless the original yeast is really maxed out on ABV. So for my dark ale with 1762, might add a little from the bottom at bottling. Usually I try like heck to avoid sucking up yeast, but in this case it may make sense. Or is the yeast at that point going to be toast, and not worth reusing? I really don't know, it's a good question.

I think using the same strain makes sense. Just seems like a better idea than going with something else, unless the original yeast is really maxed out on ABV. So for my dark ale with 1762, might add a little from the bottom at bottling. Usually I try like heck to avoid sucking up yeast, but in this case it may make sense. Or is the yeast at that point going to be toast, and not worth reusing? I really don't know, it's a good question.

I've read Belgian yeast tend to pretty much eat everything, so it's best to use fresh yeast, especially if it's an aged ale. I asked the same question to a brewmaster at northern brewer and that's what he told me.

Hey everyone,

I use Lalvin EC-1118 at a rate of 1g/5gal, rehydrated, for just about everything. I've never noticed a change in gravity or overcarbonation from adding the yeast.

Back