Pitching yeast at 90 F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
It has been asked before I know...

I pitched my yeast at 90 F. It was my first BIAB and I had a hard time getting the temp down. As soon as I pitched it I regretted not waiting an hour or something... I put it in a dark room right away with a fan on it and a few cold packs. The temp dropped very quickly down to 75 in a matter of a few hours.

That was 15 hours ago... anyway just seeing what people think... 90 F is obviously to high of a temp to pitch yeast eh? Cheers!

I've done it before when I've had trouble getting my temp down, and I didn't experience any major issues. It's better to get the temp down though. Are you fermenting at 75 degrees though? That seems pretty high for most yeasts.

Well its 70 now... Almost 24 hours later. It might be starting to ferment. It has those small bubbles on top. It's starting very slowly tho

I would get it as low as possible. Put it in a bathtub of ice water. The warmer it is, the faster the fermentation will take off & finish giving you off flavors. I assume you're not using a wort chiller. What yeast is it?

For future temperature control after pitching, I would look into this if you can't get a temp controlled fermentation chamber. http://www.cool-brewing.com/

It's an insulated bag and you swap out frozen 2 liter bottles to keep the temperature lower. Been using it for over a year and it is a wonderful investment. It keeps most of my beer between 65-68 F with one 2 liter in there.

Well its 70 now... Almost 24 hours later. It might be starting to ferment. It has those small bubbles on top. It's starting very slowly tho

You're lucky that the yeast didn't take off right away, which allowed time to cool. If the yeast takes off quickly you have the added heat from fermentation to cope with.

I am making a wert chiller for next time... it was more wert to cool down than I am used to dealing with I guess. Didn't think it was enough to make such a big difference.

It was the danstar wheat yeast... its down to 69 F now which is as low as it will get.

Back