Pitching Via The Trub Dump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Reaction score
Any reason why I could not pitch a yeast starter into the FV via a mason/ball jar which is the trub dump? Space it tight in the FV fridge and the conical weighs 50KG so lifting it out is an issue.

I’ve made a starter (which is unlike me) with 3 packs of M44 in a jar which I can screw to the bottom of my conical and inject it through the bottom.

I’ve never seen anybody do it this way so any reason why not?

You definitely need a way to inject the yeast into the wort and with enough force that it will mix thoroughly with the wort. Yeast is not mobile and will not take flight under its own power, if you just attach the jar and open the valve the yeast will keep sitting there and no fermentation will happen.

Thanks, I only have the NorCal standard dump with the gas relief though.

Since your space is tight in the frig, you need a permanent solution. Either buy the necessary yeast brink part or upgrade to a safer sight glass bundle. I used for the first time yesterday a 3" sight glass yeast brink. https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions....i?storeid=*1ecb0544a80ad843761124a77f9fe5a9fc

Norcal sells a 45 degree adapter that allows you to attach the yeast brink to the racking port valve if that makes it easier. In the pictures below, you can see my spice I was about to inject through the racking arm. After taking the pictures, I filled the sight glass up with beer from the fermenter, thus pushing out O2 from the sight glass. Then I attached the CO2 line to the gas post and injected the mixed beer back into the fermenter. I repeated filling and injecting four more times to ensure everything was mixed.

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Back