Pitching temperature and no fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Dad

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker…I had an issue with my thermometer and pitched the yeast at 45C (110F). Safale US05.

I put it the fermentation fridge and now sits at 18C (65F)

30 hours later, no signs of activity. All the yeast sits at the bottom of the fermenter. No changes in the gravity either (I have a tilt and it reads 1.073, same as yesterday)
Should I go tomorrow to the store and get more yeast? I don’t want to lose all the wort and hops…

Attachments

• 7FE4D464-8401-4386-8168-91C4CDD4570D.jpeg
    7FE4D464-8401-4386-8168-91C4CDD4570D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
Once you get up towards 120 you really start killing your yeast. 140 done deal. At 110 , you shocked the yeast . This shock may delay activity. You may get some off flavors. You might try and swirl the fv to kick the yeast up. If nothing by 48 hrs I'd toss in more yeast and see what you get.

We have never used hot water to hydrate a yeast and have never had issues with our method. When using a dry yeast we have a bucket with StarSan where we put the yeast packet, scissors and room temp small sealed bottles of drinking water. When ready to pitch, we take out the bottled water, unseal and pour some out. We cut open the yeast and pour in the bottle . Reseal and shake for a few seconds. We then either wait a couple of minutes or pour the yeast in to right after shaking into the Wort at about 70 F wort.

I would add another packet today.

Bubbling is not necessary but you should see some yeast activity on top of the wort within a day.

I'll add my opinion, pitch more yeast asap; however I would also suggest giving the wort a taste before doing so. If the yeast is just shocked it might be okay, but if you wound up killing a bunch of them you're going to get a nasty off-flavor, that may already be present. Autolysed (dead) yeast have a distinctive flavor, kinda like phenol/bandaids. If it's there, it ain't going away if you pitch more yeast. I would hate to see you buy more yeast, pitch, and then in a week or so dump the beer due to off-flavors. Just my 2 cents.

US-05 does quite well "sprinkled onto wort" dry, as per instructions on packet. All I've ever done with fresh pitch, never had a failed start up.

I second the advice to add another packet soon as possible. Just open pack and dump in, no stirring or anything else necessary. Fermentis dried yeasts are designed to work this way, not all dry yeasts are.

Back