pitching temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Bastard

Reaction score
my hefe kit came with danstar munich yeast but the instructions are vague.it only mentions bringing the wort to under 80 degrees.is it safe to pitch as long as it's under 80 or should I wait until it's at the temp I will ferment at (65-70)

also the instructions make no mention of oxygentaing the wort prior to pitching and danstar says it's not necessary for this yeast.should I foreget that step?

my hefe kit came with danstar munich yeast but the instructions are vague.it only mentions bringing the wort to under 80 degrees.is it safe to pitch as long as it's under 80 or should I wait until it's at the temp I will ferment at (65-70)

also the instructions make no mention of oxygentaing the wort prior to pitching and danstar says it's not necessary for this yeast.should I foreget that step?

I like to be around 70 for pitching, but under 80 isn't going kill the yeast or anything. Just make sure to be at at least 70 by the time your serious fermenter activity starts.

Yes you need to oxygenate, rock and splash your fermenter before you pitch your yeast for a few minutes to get some oxygen in there. most of the time pouring from kettle to fermenter will get quite a bit of o2 in the wort.

Back