Pitching Temp climbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallen6590

Reaction score
Made a stout today and pitched the yeast at the recommended temp at 67 degrees. Came back a few hours later and the temp climbed to 79. Is this an okay thing? Is the yeast just super active? Will it come back down? Just hoping it doesn’t ruin the beer

I'd cool it down to where it's supposed to be. Hopefully, you're still waiting for fermentation to kick off. It's unlikely to be the yeast after just a few hours. More likely the initial temperature reading wasn't accurate or wasn't representative of the actual wort temperature, e.g. temperature gradient present and equalised hours later producing a higher average temperature compared to the biased one taken first. It's not unusual when chilling post boil without recirculation, for instance.

Yeast creates heat when it starts working on the beer. How do you know the beer was at 67, one of those stick on thermometers? If so, they are not super accurate and it would mean the outer edge of fermenter may be near 67, but wort in in the middle would be warmer. One of the best investments in brewing that will help make much better beer is temperature control.

Hey guys thanks for the input. I have a spike conical and Tilt Hydrometer and both were around 67-68 when I pitched the yeast. Still up high in temp..

Yeah the yeast will for sure make the temps climb, but - not normally by so much.

Try to cool it down from there if you can. There are... 100's of ways.

Back