Pitching Starter Too Soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jilaman

Reaction score
Is it a bad thing to pitch a starter if it is still fermenting itself? Or is that ok?

It was WL400 Belgian Wit, it took a bit longer to really start going in my starter than I planned, I made it on Wed, and it was still chugging on the starter today when I brewed.

I think that's just fine. I've heard two schools on when to pitch the starter: 1. when the krausen is highest (like you did) and 2. Once it's fully fermented.

I've pitched starters both ways, like coastarine said there are 2 schools of thought on that matter...Either way is fine...With pitching at high krauzen there should be very little lag time..and it may be a highly active fermentation (meaning have a blowoff handy just in case.)

I did the same thing, only had a short time for a starter of WLP400, it was still chugging on the airlock when I pitched. Took off within 3-4 hours in the carboy, and the beer turned out great, bottled it today. :mug:

- Eric

I use both methods for my Yeast. When I am making a smaller Beer, say 1.058 and lower, I only do a 1 Pint Starter just to Wake the Yeast up. I usually Pitch it when it's still fermenting away.

On my bigger beers, I do a 2 Liter Starter. I refeed the Starter at least once with fresh DME, and I let the Starter totally ferment out so I can decant and use just the yeast. this one takes a ittle over a week to do, but it very well worth it IMHO when it comes to a bigger beer.

All a starter is doing is growing yeast. High krausen is when they are growing the fastest. At the end, you have the most cells. Anywhere along the line, you have more than what you started with, so if it's pitching time, pitch.

Is it a bad thing to pitch a starter if it is still fermenting itself? Or is that ok?

Yes, high krausen it is the best moment for pitching.
Athough, some of us prefer to wait until fermentation is done, yeast settle on the bottom and decant the fermented wort, to avoid potential off-flavors.

Yeah It was made with Extra Light ME so it should not give any off flavors or color to my Blue Moon Clone.

Back