Pitching rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a 10 gal batch of pyment and trying to decide how much yeast to buy. I haven't seen any solid numbers around the mead community of how much yeast is recommended for pitch. The yeast I am going to use comes in 5g packs so it would take more than two to equal your average beer dry yeast pack. Do you pitch along the same rate as an ale or is it different for wine yeasts? I am planning to use the even speed method which says "2 packs" but I am not sure which size packs they are referring to.

Generally, one 5 gram packet of dry wine yeast is enough for 5 gallons of wine or mead must, especially if you take care to rehydrate it per the manufacturers' directions. So, for your 10 gallon batch, unless the starting gravity is very high, 10 g of yeast should do nicely.

take the two packets of yeast and make a starter. boil 1 gal. water, 2 lb. honey, and yeast nutrient and energizer and add yeast. let it ferment till there are no more bubbles. then carefully decant the spent must and repeat. this will give you plenty of yeast for pitching.

Back