Pitching rate with harvested commercial yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradmont

Reaction score
I harvested some yeast from a bottle of Unibroue La Terrible that I want to use for a Trois Pistoles clone, and am trying to figure out the right pitching rate. Since I started with a small harvested sample from the bottle of a 750ml bottle and gradually stepped it up, I'm wondering if the pitching rate will be the same or are assumptions different when starting with a larger number of cells like in a smack pack?

Using brewtarget to calculate, it told me that with:
2.5 gal @ 1.093, 1.035 starter OG, .75 cells/(ml*P) = 158 billion cells needed, or 3 cup starter. My last step up in the yeast was to a 750ml jar (3 cup); will this be enough?

Also, I grew the yeast a couple weeks ago and it's been sitting in my fridge; I'm wondering whether decanting and pitching a bit of low gravity wort before brewing is necessary or should it be ok without?

Thanks!

Also, I grew the yeast a couple weeks ago and it's been sitting in my fridge; I'm wondering whether decanting and pitching a bit of low gravity wort before brewing is necessary or should it be ok without?

Thanks!

i would feed it fresh wort morning of brew day.

Thanks guys. thesnatch, I really have no way of estimating my starting number of cells... I started with maybe a tbsp of beer from the bottom of a 3/4l bottle, and stepped it up by doubling the volume several times. Do you know of a way I could estimate cell count, say by measuring the volume of the yeast cake?

Back