Pitching onto yeast cake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bheher

Reaction score
In past batches I have racked a beer off of a yeast cake and pitched a new batch on top of that yeast. In my frementer right now is a Scottish 60 Schilling and I am brewing a Scottish Strong that wil ferment on the yest cake.
60 shilling has been in there for 10 days and finished fermenting a couple days ago. My question is how long can I let it sit on that yeast and still reuse the yeast? Is 17 days too long?

17 days is fine. Yeast can sit for months in packets on store shelves and work fine so a few days in the fermenter won't hurt it.

I've got a keg fermentor that I had done a hefe in about 4 months ago. It has about a gallon or less of beer sitting on the yeast cake. Could I repitch on this or should I wash it first?

I've got a keg fermentor that I had done a hefe in about 4 months ago. It has about a gallon or less of beer sitting on the yeast cake. Could I repitch on this or should I wash it first?

If its in the keg you could always use some co2 to push the yeast out and into the new container (and avoid the beer)

4 months might be a bit much though. it could be fine also. only one way to find out for sure....

Back