Pitching onto the trub of the previous brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Spinning Horse

Reaction score
I made a quick raw NEIPA on Saturday and bottled up a small beer at the same time.
Trying something new I pitched the raw ale straight in to the fermenter with the trub of the small beer that was fermented with Laerdal kveik.
It took about an hour to kick off, went like crazy over night and was slowing down by the morning. I got home yesterday evening at about 24 hours after pitch and it's virtually done, no airlock action and FG at about where it should be.
Theoretically, if I bottled this brew now, I could have a grain to glass turn around in 4-5 days.
I'm amazed!

I've been tempted but... I mostly make hoppy beers, which means there's considerably greenery in my drained, yeasty fermenter, or dark roasty beers with, er, dark roasty residue in with the yeast. These situations feel like dubious starts for a new beer. Maybe too prissy of me?

I've been tempted but... I mostly make hoppy beers, which means there's considerably greenery in my drained, yeasty fermenter, or dark roasty beers with, er, dark roasty residue in with the yeast. These situations feel like dubious starts for a new beer. Maybe too prissy of me?
Too much hop debris is not good. But dark liquid is no problem if the next beer is also a darker one.

Back