Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rondemay

Reaction score
So, despite knowing better, I had extra ingredients around and I decided to brew a new batch the day I was racking over my Saison. For the Saison I used the WY3711 (I washed and saved this too, because it is the most fantastic strain). After racking into the secondary and adding my Brett I decided not to waste all the glorious trub and I just put the new brew on top. The new brew is a Kolsch style, some carapils, wheat, munich, lightly hopped early in the boil... but it definitely has a lower gravity than the Saison. What problems should I expect from this? The Kolsch is fermenting quite vigorously, as it is probably way over-pitched. I was thinking about racking it over after a few days to get it off the slurry as soon as possible. Thoughts? Thanks for the advice!

Never used that yeast, but I'm guessing it's not going to be very "kolschish".

Style aside, it should be fine to just let it finish up. There is yeast in the beer even if you try to rack it off the cake.

Style aside, it should be fine to just let it finish up. There is yeast in the beer even if you try to rack it off the cake.
Yeah, this is what I ended up doing. It fermented vigorously for 6 days and then just came to a screeching halt. So I primed and kegged it. Taste tests revealed that it is actually more Kölsch like than expected, maybe more of a blonde ale though.

Attachments

• F128AE3D-F6DB-401F-BF89-B60201296E43.png
    F128AE3D-F6DB-401F-BF89-B60201296E43.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back