Pitching on yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingTravisty

Reaction score
So I brewed a American wheat with an OG of 1.060 with US-05, guy at the LHBS said it should be ok to pitch my blonde on that which I overshot the gravity by a lot, ending up at 1.092. What should I expect for the FG? And should I buy a higher gravity yeast to pitch in it? Or should the US-05 be enough to fully attenuate it?

Pitching on top of a yeast cake is 3 times as much yeast as you need.Take out 2/3 of slurry and pitch on the last 3rd.Save the other 2/3 in two mason jars in fridge for future brews

you should be good to reuse that yeast. you can reuse it for stronger, just not the other way around. 1.060 is about the limit of where you want to reuse it, though

Pitching on top of a yeast cake is 3 times as much yeast as you need.Take out 2/3 of slurry and pitch on the last 3rd.Save the other 2/3 in two mason jars in fridge for future brews

I had already pitched on it this morning. I plan on getting some mason jars soon to start harvesting my yeast. But everything should be fine for this beer right? I shouldn't have a problem hitting my FG? I was hoping for a fairly dry beer with this one.

In fact, with an OG of 1.092, I'd say you're better off pitching onto a cake.

In fact, with an OG of 1.092, I'd say you're better off pitching onto a cake.

It seems to have worked amazing so far. It too off very quick and had a pretty wild fermentation considering I've kept the temp in the high 50's to 60.

How well would it work if I pitched another beer on this? Say a RIS over 1.100?

I would not pitch on a cake that just finished fermenting a 1.092 beer. That yeast is not healthy

I wouldn't hesitate to pitch another 1.090 to 1.100 beer on that yeast cake. It is healthy if fermentation doesn't struggle or fails to finish. You're actually better off using the yeast for the 1.100 beer since a lot of people will either suggest a large starter or doing exactly what you did for the 1.090. The yeast just lived in 9-10% alcohol so they're more acclimated to it. Save some if you want for a future starter.

I wouldn't hesitate to pitch another 1.090 to 1.100 beer on that yeast cake. It is healthy if fermentation doesn't struggle or fails to finish. You're actually better off using the yeast for the 1.100 beer since a lot of people will either suggest a large starter or doing exactly what you did for the 1.090. The yeast just lived in 9-10% alcohol so they're more acclimated to it. Save some if you want for a future starter.

Wait, what? White Labs, Wyeast, Yeast Book, and all the interviews with Brewers I've heard are the opposite.

I'll probably try it and have some fresh yeast on standby just in case lol but so far this fermentation has been going very strong and the yeast aren't showing and struggle. We'll see how it finishes.

Back