Quantcast

Pitching on Yeast Cake that had fermented warm

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

terrapinj

Reaction score
Any carryover ester issues to be concerned about if pitching onto a yeast cake of notty that came from a batch that started fermentation close to 70°?

Will there be residual esters or can i expect more esters than usual or will the esters only result if I ferment the new batch at warmer temps?

andrew300

Reaction score
You would be overpitching. Ester production would be minimal and would have a flavor impact. Why not wash the yeast and pitch the correct amount or start with a new pitch?

OP
terrapinj

terrapinj

Reaction score
it would be for a Barley Wine and it seemed repitching on a yeast cake was fairly common to do

1st batch OG 1.047
BW OG 1.100ish

andrew300

Reaction score
Its still a big overpitch and you have some dead cells mixed in and trub. Especially if its dry yeast, I would just pitch rehydrated fresh packets. Since its a barleywine and you are going to have it age for a while, mine as well make it turn out the best.

EO74

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Im not sure about the over pitch,but ive done it both ways and for a little extra work i prefer washing.I dont think ferm temps of a previous batch will affect u though, i usually ferment my starters pretty warm with no ill effects unless its a lager yeast but notty should be ok.

OP
terrapinj

terrapinj

Reaction score
thanks for the replies everyone

may wait another few weeks and pitch it with some washed wlp007 from a APA im gonna do this weekend

:mug:

Latest posts