Pitching on yeast cake after a overflowed fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
At the start of the year I brewed my first sour beer. I dumped the wort into a better bottle to ferment. After a few days it really started going and pushed the airlock off leaving yeast all over the top of the inside of the vessel. Since then much of it has dried. I was planning to rack off the yeast cake to a secondary for long term aging and pour in another wort brewed with the same recipe on to the yeast cake as to take advantage of the second generation of yeast and bugs. Is the better bottle to dirty to do this? Should I dump the cake into another vessel? Am I being to catious?

Rack the liquid, shake up the yeast cake and pour a cup or so into your new ferment. I have never seen it take more than like 12 hours with that plan, you definitely don't need the whole cake

I was planning to rack off the yeast cake to a secondary for long term aging
you can rack off the cake if you like, but you don't need to. the brett and the bugs will eat the dying yeast, this becomes a food source for them. some sours rack off the cake, others don't.

and pour in another wort brewed with the same recipe on to the yeast cake as to take advantage of the second generation of yeast and bugs.

you won't be getting the second generation advantage, at least not for the bugs (which is what most people talk about when they reference the second generation advantage of sours).

that crazy activity that you saw was the sacch. that yeast multiplied and munched through most of the sugar. the bugs haven't had time to grow their population yet.

the second generation of a sour beer yeast cake is more powerful than the first because the bugs have had time to multiply over many months, and there is very very little viable sacch left by then. so the brett and the bacteria greatly outnumber the sacch. your cake isn't old enough to show those benefits.

you have a lot more sacch right now but as others have pointed out pitching all of it isn't the best strategy.

Sounds like I need to wait longer before I can take advantage of the second generation of bugs and pitching directly now would be over pitching sach only. In that case I'll keep letting it ride in primary. Thanks!

Back