Pitching on a yeast cake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Yoopers Dead Guy. My goal is 4 weeks in primary then 3-4 in a secondary force carb and drink. When I rack out of primary I want to add a new batch of dead guy wort to the yeast cake. If I rack and add do I need to wash the yeast? What about the hop leaves that have settled into the yeast? Also this ferment was what I would call a slow ferment that chugged along. What should I expect from batch number two?

I don't wash when I'm repitching onto a yeast cake. However your cell count will be MUCH higher than normal pitching. So batch number 2 will start off with a bang. If you don't have a good sized head space, I'd highly recommend a blow off tube.

A lot of times depending on the gravity of what I'm brewing for round two, I'll remove some of the cake. If it's a high gravity beer, I'll use the whole cake.

Pitching on cakes can be done, but it's severely over-pitching. You could add a couple pints of pre-boiled water to the cake, swish it around, and dump about half to 2/3 of it out before you add your new wort onto it. I've only ever pitched onto a cake once, and that was enough for me. It was a repeat recipe that I had brewed many times before, and it did not turn out as well as it usually does. Bottom line, pitching rates aren't just dust in the wind; they really do affect the final product.

As far as the trub: I think you'll be OK if it's still fresh. The sooner you can get that yeast cake slightly rinsed, reduced to a more proper pitching rate, and pour the new wort on it, the better.

If I pour 1/2 in a boiled jar how long will it keep in the fridge?

Not as long as if you were to properly wash it before storing it. I would give it a couple weeks if you just dump the trub and yeast into a jar, cap and refrigerate it. If you wash it prior to storing it, you'll get a better sample of yeast that will be better quality, and last for longer. If you're unfamiliar with yeast washing, there are several threads on HBT, as well as videos on YouTube. It's worth the effort if you want to save some money and keep several strains on hand.

Back