Pitching multiple dry yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashopis

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'll be making this Treehouse Julius clone. It calls for using a mixture of dried yeasts. In order to replicate the recipe, the yeasts need to be measured. I plan to pour the yeasts into a small bowl to weigh them and then pitch from the bowl.

My question is this. Do I need to sanitize the small bowl? if so, how do I dry it so the yeast doesn't stick to the bowl and also keep the bowl sanitized?

Thanks a ton!!!

Hey folks,

I'll be making this Treehouse Julius clone. It calls for using a mixture of dried yeasts. In order to replicate the recipe, the yeasts need to be measured. I plan to pour the yeasts into a small bowl to weigh them and then pitch from the bowl.

My question is this. Do I need to sanitize the small bowl? if so, how do I dry it so the yeast doesn't stick to the bowl and also keep the bowl sanitized?

Thanks a ton!!!
Sterilizer solution soak it as you would do anything. Then dry it with a paper towel. I wouldn’t worry much about sterilizing what you’re weighing it in, just what you are rehydrating the dry yeast in before you pitch it.

Who’s clone are you running?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm making the clone designed by Marshall Bishop.

https://trinitybrewers.com/brews/ipa/julius-clone-treehouse-brewing-ipa/

Have you tried this?
No I have not. I never really clone anything. I’m a more my own recipe guy. Doesn’t look bad. I think the s04 and Cl need to be reversed and I don’t see how 8% of a yeast blend will provide enough of an ester profile to be precieved over the high hopping rate. But again I have never tried it so I could be making assumptions. Here is a picture of my most recent NEIPA that was kegged yesterday.
177643C8-D6DF-46A6-BA3C-376CC7F7A5CD.jpeg

I usually weigh the whole yeast pack and then pour the yeast really carefully into the wort, weighing the pack again and again in between, until the difference between the full pack and the current state equals the amount I need.

Back