Pitching MORE yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
So this is what im doing:

2 1/2 lbs. clover honey
1 lb. orange blossom honey
1 orange, cut into eighths
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
1 teaspoon Fleischmann's (sp) yeast

from what i hear, bread yeast drops out early which would leave the mead/melomel a bit sweet. would it be in my best interest to pitch more bread yeast to try to dry it up a bit? thoughts?

Muchas Gracias :fro:

Dave

Well, bread yeast will only ferment a little bit, so that's why it leaves it sweet. Adding more bread yeast won't change that.

If you want it dry, you could pitch some wine yeast in there and that will dry it out.

I would honestly avoid bread yeast unless you like to experiment. it doesn't give the best flavor profile compared to a variety of inexpensive dry yeast strains.

I'd suggest something like Fermentis S-33, which can hit 13% ABV, which packs a nice punch, while still retaining sweetness unless you really skimp on the honey.

I agree with malkore. Go with either a good dry strain for meads or get a liquid strain for meads. I made a few meads and used liquid for all and they turned out great. I tried some made from bread yeast and it was terrible. The recipe does sound good, though.

Back