Pitching harvested slurry + fresh starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
I’m brewing a strong lager (OG of ~1.070) 5 days from now. I have a previous fermentation from which I intend to collect the yeast slurry, and then rinse it over a few days. However, by the time I brew the upcoming strong lager, it will have been 3 weeks since I first pitched into the previous batch.

My thought was to pitch an appropriate amount of slurry (~250-300 ml) directly into my wort, and then to also add an active starter containing 1 smackpack of the same yeast strain, just for good measure. (I generally find my fermentations are better when pitching an active starter anyway).

So, thoughts on pitching a large population of yeast in sleeping slurry form, along with an active, smaller sized starter? I’m wondering if I’m looking for trouble by pitching yeast in 2 different conditions?

If that is a legitimate concern, I’m wondering if I should just put the whole population, slurry and smackpack, into the small starter together? But that seems like a lot of yeast in a small wort volume. Is there such thing as overpitching a starter?

You aren't necessarily looking for trouble as the thought behind the whole thing isn't bad at all, but it is rather unnecessary to add a packet of fresh yeast. Just make a starter with the harvested, washed yeast and it will be absolutely fine. :)

There are no real ill side-effects to overpitching, but it will create a lot of trub at the bottom and you will lose a lot of useable beer and get undesireable (for a lager) yeasty off-flavors.

I agree with above. I repitch yeast with reckless abandon, ignoring all caution about re using yeast from a big beer, and never wash rinse or otherwise, and I have yet to have a problem.

My .02$ is repitch, get a huge dosage, and save money.

You do need an a$$load of yeast for a 1.070 lager, so a repitch will give you that. I made a maibock last winter (1.064) and did just that. Took the yeast from my Oktoberfest and washed it only once. It was almost 3 weeks in primary. The Bock took right off and was my best lager to date.

I just did the same thing with an orange pale ale into a 1.114 barleywine. That one I didn't wash, but 2 mason jars of yeast/trub right into the barleywine. I had some activity within 2-3 hours, and strong activity within 8. So there must not have been much reproduction going on. Should power through all that sugar.

No need for a fresh smack pack of yeast or starter IMO. Washing may be a good idea if you want to assure the flavor of your bigger brew does not take anything from your previous lager.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you, same time scales too!

I was planning on racking my current lager off of the yeast (primary will be finished in 3 or 4 days) and then after wiping the "tide marks" away with a starsan cloth, pouring my chilled 1080 doppelbock wort right on top of the old yeast cake.

As its such a big beer, I know I'll need excessive amounts of yeast -

1.5m x °p x ml

1.5m x 20 x 22k = 660bn cells.

and with lagers whilst over pitching is still bad its not as bad as under pitching - I would rather do it this way than risk an infection by trying to get rid of the old trub.

I know it'll mean that the yeast will be unusable afterwards - but what other downsides are there to my plan?

What's the likeliness of picking up bad yeast flavours from the previous batches trub?

To what degree am I looking to be overpitching?

Cheers All

Matt

I don't like the rack-onto-entire-cake method. Theoretically speaking, it's crazy overpitching, but even practically, I've never been pleased with the results. (eg. minor off-flavors and poor finishes). If I were to succumb to laziness and rack new wort onto a yeast cake, I would probably give the cake a thorough swirl and pour out a majority of the slurry before racking, using an eyeball's approximation to leave an appropriate amount of yeast, taking into account all the trub.

As to my original question... I already have purchased the extra yeast pack, so Imagonna use it. I think I'll just make a 1L starter with the packet and 250 mls or so of washed yeast.

What volume is your new batch of Lager?

After a lot of reading I think I'm going to try to rinse the yeast and pitch at the correct (estimated) rate which will be about 250ml of a nice settled yeast layer.

If I can't salvage that much then I'll have to work something out :p

As you've already bought the pack you may as well use it if you're not planning any other brews - we can work out how much of your original yeast you'll need in addition:)

Back