Pitching A Little Extra Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbathearkie

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm a newcomer to this forum. It looks like a lot of fun. I have a question for you. (I put it in the wrong place the first is listed it, so I hope that I got it right this time.)

If the FG is a little too high after the fermentation has stopped, can I pitch a little more yeast in order to get the desired result, or am I stuck with a little weaker batch than I wanted?

Thanks,
Bubba

If the yeast pooped out before it was done (due to underpitching, bad fermenting temp, old yeast, etc.) then repitching will solve it.

If your gravity is high due to high mash temp, lots of specialty grains (causing unfermentable sugars) then no amount of (beer) yeast will bring the gravity down....although I've heard of people pitching champagne yeast, using amylase enzymes, etc.

What were your starting and finishing gravities?

Several options are open to you;

- pitch more yeast
- stir it gently(do not aerate!)
- siphon onto an existing yeast cake
- RDWHAHB and leave it alone for awhile

However, the real question is, what is your target FG and where are you now? You may not be as far off as you think.

That's pretty high....are you positive it was done fermenting? also, what was the recipe?

Hey Thanks a Bunch,

That is just about the timing of my batch. It was in the fermemter for a total of 18 days. Then I bottled it, and it has been in the bottles for 3 1/2 weeks. I put a couple in the frige Sunday evening, and I'm gonna try one tonight. The stuff is a very clear dark amber color. I think it may have turned out alright.

Thanks again,
bubba

What did the instructions say your FG should be?

I'm wondering if it was an old kit with old yeast.....

The instructions didn't say anything. There were only 2 empty boxes on the sheet; one marked O.G, and the other marked F.G. It also included a chart to calculate the alcohol content. I might be able to find a little info on the company's website.

Latest posts

Back