Pitched yeast too hot, then chilled immediately

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnags

Reaction score
I just made a starter, but was tired and accidentally pitched the yeast when the wort was around 105 degrees. I put it in the freezer and got it down to 74 within 10-15 minutes. Did this kill yeast in that amount of time? Will there be off flavors because of this? Should I just make another starter tomorrow?? If anyone has thoughts on this I'd appreciate it, thanks!

You should be good at that temp. Anything more than 120 will shock the yeast. I don't think you should expect off flavors as fermentation wouldn't begin immediately. Only time will tell..

Thanks. So you think I can expect the yeast to not be stressed from going in at over 100 then dropping the temp in the freezer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Who knows? You may get away with it this time, or not. At least you got it part-way cooled down quickly. 74*F is still about 10*F too warm for most ale yeast strains.

It would have been much better to delay pitching, but the fermenter in the freezer, get the wort temp down to about 60-62*F then pitch the next morning.

I pitched S-33 into 96 degree wort, and let it cool over night to ~72 degrees, and it turned out fabulous. I've also recently pitched Mangrove Jack's M-20 into 70 degree wort and kept it steady at 64 degrees or less for fermentation, and so far it smells and tastes terrible. Ya' just never know.

Let the starter go. If it ferments you are good to go. You are not too concerned with creating off flavors when making a starter. However, you are once you pitch the yeast into your fermenter. If you are worried about off flavors from the starter affecting your beer you can decant the spent wort. I decant the liquid on anything larger than 1 liter anyway, I don't want to dilute my wort with the starter liquid.

The object is to create more yeast cells. Yeast thrive in warm temperatures. Hence blow off's when fermenting on the high end. I am not sure how hot it takes to kill the yeast.

Let the starter go. If it ferments you are good to go. You are not too concerned with creating off flavors when making a starter. However, you are once you pitch the yeast into your fermenter. If you are worried about off flavors from the starter affecting your beer you can decant the spent wort. I decant the liquid on anything larger than 1 liter anyway, I don't want to dilute my wort with the starter liquid.

The object is to create more yeast cells. Yeast thrive in warm temperatures. Hence blow off's when fermenting on the high end. I am not sure how hot it takes to kill the yeast.

Thanks and good point, I always decant my starters anyway. I have a temp controlled ferm chamber so ferm temps won't be a problem either.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back