Pitched yeast on top of krausen... did I kill this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainjay

Reaction score
I showed my neighbour how to make a LME kit beer on the weekend. It was our first nice weather and I could brew outside, bringing the full 6 gallons to a boil. It was also the first test of my immersion chiller, which performed impressively (much better than the snowbank I used in January!).

Usually I rehydrate dried yeast from a kit, but this time just to show my neighbour how easy it could be, I dumped the dry yeast right into the beer. I've done this before with no problem.

72 hrs later and I haven't heard any bubbling out of the airlock, which is unusual. I figure the yeast from the kit was a dud, so I grabbed another packet of dry yeast I felt pretty sure was good, and opened it up.

When I opened the bucket, I could see the krausen on top of the beer. Uh oh, what do I do now?

I tossed the second packet of yeast in on top.

So... did I just screw up this batch? Or will this yeast just die out because there's not enough sugar/oxygen left after the first batch?

Gah!
Jay

first, a lesson I have learned well (from here, and from experiece) is use your hydrometer first to determine if you have active fermentation or not. don't just rely on your airlock.

As far as the yeast, I can't imagine that you would ruin the batch by adding more yeast. Maybe turn a slow ferment into a faster one? I'm not sure what the yeast will to towards the flavor, but I don' think it will hurt.

All you did was waste a perfectly good package of yeast, and showed your neighbor how not to RDWHAHB :D

You didn't hurt anything.

Thanks for the reassurances, gents! Much appreciated!

This batch is slated to be my first attempt at kegging, too... there's so much to learn yet!

Thnx!
Jay

Harvest that yeast cake when the beer is finished and you'll have enough to start up 20 more batches.

If I just re-pitched on top of the yeast cake do you think I would be over-pitching? I've only ever read about this happening, and have no idea how to calculate what would constitute "over-pitching."

Thanks,
Jay

I have put my next batch on top of the yeast cake, not sure if it constitutes over pitching or not I didn't notice any ill effects. However, you'll want to use a blow off tub. I nearly blew the airlock out of my 6.5 gallon fermenter and was fermenting a 5 gallon batch.

If I just re-pitched on top of the yeast cake do you think I would be over-pitching? I've only ever read about this happening, and have no idea how to calculate what would constitute "over-pitching."

Thanks,
Jay

No. You're fine. I'm not sure what would constitute problematic over-pitching. Maybe where too much yeast was used in a style that requires some slow controlled fermentation like a strong Belgian.

I have put my next batch on top of the yeast cake, not sure if it constitutes over pitching or not I didn't notice any ill effects. However, you'll want to use a blow off tub. I nearly blew the airlock out of my 6.5 gallon fermenter and was fermenting a 5 gallon batch.

That's a very common occurence when pithing on a live volcano of yeast. :D

Back