Pitched Wyeast 3711 at 82F--off flavors likely?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slothorentropy

Reaction score
Made a stupid mistake with my fifth AG batch today, first saison. Everything went perfect until racking/pitching. The last temp I took when chilling was around 82F, and I assumed (as on other brew days) that it would chill around 5-7 degrees F when racking to the fermenter, so I didn't take the temp before pitching the yeast (was also distracted by some really good rye whisky). I pitched from a 500ML starter (made with Wyeast 3711) that had been warmed to room temperature (maybe 78F). I did end up taking the temp after pitching--81F. I know that's high for this strain... It's going to ferment at around 75F or so... What do you guys think? Off flavors likely, or should this strain be able to handle it?

Recipe from Brew Alchemy if anyone's interested. I love saisons, and I'm looking forward to this one.

---
Four Saisons In One Day

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
16C-Belgian And French Ale-Saison

Minimum OG: 1.048 SG Maximum OG: 1.065 SG
Minimum FG: 1.002 SG Maximum FG: 1.012 SG
Minimum IBU: 20 IBU Maximum IBU: 35 IBU
Minimum Color: 5.0 SRM Maximum Color: 14.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 26.00 qts Wort Volume After Boil: 21.13 qts
Volume Transferred: 21.13 qts Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 qts
Volume At Pitching: 21.13 qts Volume Of Finished Beer: 20.08 qts
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG Expected OG: 1.055 SG
Expected FG: 1.011 SG Apparent Attenuation: 79.9 %
Expected ABV: 5.9 % Expected ABW: 4.6 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 34.2 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 4.2 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.62 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 75 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
German Pilsner Malt 8lb 0oz 72.3 % 2.0 In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 2lb 1oz 18.5 % 2.1 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Wheat Malt 1lb 0oz 9.2 % 0.4 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Northern Brewer 8.0 % 0.75 oz 22.5 Loose Pellet Hops All Of Boil
US Willamette 4.5 % 1.00 oz 8.4 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
German Tettnang 4.5 % 0.39 oz 3.3 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Wyeast 3711-French Saison

Water Profile
Target Profile: No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH: 5.3
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 0 Total Magnesium (ppm): 0
Total Sodium (ppm): 0 Total Sulfate (ppm): 0
Total Chloride(ppm): 0 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 0

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 151 degF 60

Recipe Notes
90 minute mash
AUS wheat malt not US
----

Mash at 151F for 90 min
Mash water: 18 quarts
Mashout water: 2 quarts
Mash thickness (qt/lb): 1.63
Sparge water: 18 quarts
Sparge temp: 168F
Strike water temp: 161F

Preboil gravity:
Postboil gravity:

81 is not particularly high for any saison strain. I'd suggest letting it fall and then rise back up naturally, then holding it around 76-78 for the rest of the fermentation (which will be pretty fast with the 3711).

Well, what's done is done, so the best thing to do is enjoy it and treat it as an experiment. Keep detailed notes, and brew this recipe again. Pitch at a lower temp next time and try to keep everything else the same. See how it changes things. "Off flavors" in one beer may well be "estery/phenolic deliciousness" in another. It all depends what you want out of your yeast. Saisons are known for being funky, so you may well have a fine beer on your hands.

I did almost the same thing you did, pitched high around 78 degrees. I found that the finished product was a tad on the solventy side, but still drinkable. The good news is that after 3-4 months in the bottle, the solventy alcohol is starting to fade to a hint of peppery spice.

How did yours turn out?

This turned out really well! It's a little bit hot, but nice and tart, light-bodied and refreshing. Not quite as dry as I would've liked because it underattenuated a bit, but no noticeable off flavors from my brewday mistake.

Thanks for all of the good advice in the responses; as always, the best advice was to just chill out and wait.

Back