pitched harvested yeast - slow activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbedeu

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tried to find answers to some questions I have after making an American IPA, OG1065. Thing is, all was fine, until I pitched a starter I made 3 days before. Now, I see the activity is slow, measured today and the gravity is 1020.

So, two questions: how much yeast slurry should I pitch? Made 25 liters and I pitched like 100ml of slurry. Second: I noticed that after I check the fermentation bucket (done that twice), the fermentation seems to restart.

As such, I guess I either under pitched, hence some oxygen might boost the activity whenever I take the lid off, or the yeast I used (Safeale US05) is just slightly viable. Please help!!

Thanks,
Tudor

Down to 1.020 in three days is good. Check the gravity again after one more week. It would not have been necessary to make a starter with US-05. Rehydrating the 11 grams of yeast 30 minutes before pitching would have been enough. Aerating the wort well before pitching will also help the fermentation. Keep your wort about 65°F for the remainder of the fermentation. I typically leave my beer in the fermentor for three weeks before I'll check for final gravity.

Hi, I usually do the same, leaving it in the primary for 10-14 days, until there's no more bubbling taking place whatsoever. Thing is, when I pitch dry yeast, or even if I make a starter, fermentation goes like crazy for 4-5 days, then slows down until it stops. However, this time I used yeast that I harvested from a prior batch, made a new starter but and had no idea on how much slurry to pour in. Maybe all together it was like 300ml, half of which was yeast. Will keep watching it for the next days. Thanks!

Back