Pitched fermentis s 34/70 at 75 - 80 degree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye_Brewer1

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed an Oktoberfest on Friday and pitched S 34/70 lager yeast around 75-80 degrees. I have a blow off tube but not much activity. The krausen has formed so I think I am fine but there is a bunch of brown stuff on top. I read that 34/70 should be pitched around 55-60 after the fact. It's sitting in my fridge set at 50 degrees. I read the brown stuff could be dead yeast cells. Am I ok? Picture attached View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1469480870.685762.jpg

Looks fine to me. My last beer was 34/70 pitched at 75-80F but then chilled rapidly down to 55F for fermentation and it came out great.

...Maybe not the best practice (chilling to 50F and then pitching) but the yeast love being pitched warm and start quickly.

Looks great to me, typical 34/70 krausen in my experience.

The sudden drop from the 70s down to the 50s might make the yeast sad, but they will survive. I would leave it alone for a week or two.

Bump it up into the 60s or 70s again once it looks like everything has been dormant for a while, and then grab gravity samples to see if it's done.

Latest posts

Back