Pitched enough Nottingham on Graff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemedes

Reaction score
On my second batch of cider I went with altering Brandon O's Graff recipe. :mug:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/
I trimmed the recipe down to a gallon tester batch for a trial, incorporated about 1cup steeped raisin juice, and left out the hops and wheat. I was real careful about warming temps (highest was 140-50F) when hydrating the raisins and DME, and extracting the Crystal 60L. I cooled all the syrups when adding them to the gallon of AJ - got everything mixed together around 68 degrees F. By advise of my LHBS I only pitched a 1/4 package of Nottingham yeast by measuring out a portion on a small, precise kitchen scale. I shook the crap out of the jug, air locked it and put it in the closet to let it rip.

Now, it has been two days and I am starting to worry a bit because there is maybe 1 bubble from the airlock every 2 minutes. The sticker thermometer on the side of the jug is reading a steady 68F in my pantry closet. Now, my last batch of cider (AJ, brown sugar, Nottingham) went ape sh*t only three hours after pitching and stored in the same location same temp. Anyway, for the current stand still, did I go wrong somewhere, or is this little jug just going be a slow start because the sugar difference with the 60L and DME? Should I pitch more Nottingham or just let it go slow-mo? :confused:

I did some additional reading and found some mentionings of Nottinham sometimes being a slow-starting yeast, but not always the case for everyone. Also, some folks advise if this is the scenario, to move the fermenter to a 70F environment. Anyone have any ideas? Btw, I checked back on my fermenter and it is bubbling slightly more, but nowhere near what I am use to... maybe one burb every thirty seconds so it did speed up a hair.

My experience with Notty is slight. Only 1 brew, but those yeasties are kinda lazy. They don't get in any big hurry until they do. It'll be slow bubbling for a couple days, have a nice hard day bingeing, then they'll peter out again. I think you're okay.

If its bubbling it means they are doing their job. Just let them do it. Depending on your gravity you may have shocked them a bit and that takes awhile to get going.

Initial gravity was 1.050, and after adding the malts it was 1.072

Well, after a slow almost three day lag (not sure what the true cause was) the yeast decided to start making love to the sugars all night long. This is what I woke up to find in my closet this morning. "It's alive!" :cool: Luckily I had it in a pan! I cleaned it up the outside and got a blow-off tube on their asap and it's still foaming out pretty steady at the moment.

I suppose the lesson here was all about waiting for lazy yeast to do their thing in high gravity?

IMG_0957.jpg

I checked the gravity yesterday and it's gone down to 1.020 from the initial 1.072. Gonna cold crash it at 1.015 (I like'm sweet), let it floc in the cold for a week then keg it in my syrup tank. I already have another batch of this going because it is SO darn delicious. After I keg it I'll get an exact recipe up. :tank:

Back