Pitch volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, another vote for Jamil's pitching rate calculator.

One note, though -- his recommended volumes are the 'optimal' pitching rates. I have found that you still get excellent fermentation just as long as you are generall close to his target rates. Having said this, it really is true that if you really under-pitch (or possibly over-pitch) you are putting yourself at risk of developing off-flavours in your beer, even if you get an apparently strong, vigorous fermentation.

Since I started paying close attention to my yeast pitching rates, my beer has definitely improved -- especially my higher gravity (and in some cases, very low gravity) beers.

That's probably not too much. However, I recommend against pitching the entire 2L. Let your yeast settle, decant as much of the liquid as you can to still leave a workable slurry, and then pitch that slurry. Otherwise, you're just messing up your beer with the extra starter liquor.

TL

What TexLaw said. I use a 1/2gallon glass milk bottle for starters. I pitch my yeast into the starter wort a couple of days before I want to brew, let it ferment out, refrigerate it and pour off the oxygenated starter wort. That gives me a strong starter slurry without diluting my beer or introducing weird flavors from the starter.

Chad

so is it detrimental to the yeast to let it ferment out and then pour a portion of the liquid off and add fresh wort the day before fermentation to get it really active again before pitching?

Back