Pitch then lower temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButcherBrew

Reaction score
Hi Fellow brewers,

I've got an honest question that I can't seem to figure out or find a clear answer to, so I'd appreciate all opinions on this!

I have been doing yeast starters lately and the results have been good however I think I can still get better. First off, I try to pitch my starter when fermentation is visibly active - usually within 24 hours. This starter is sitting in the air conditioned house at 73-74 degrees. If I like to ferment my ales at 58 to 65, what is the best way of adding the yeast since it is at a higher temp?

I've add the yeast to wort that was brought down to the pitching temp (58 for Kolsch) and then added the yeast. The fermentation struggled for 48 hours but then got going and finished up.

On the contrary, Ive also added the yeast into the wort that was sitting at the same temp (70's) and then lowered it down into the 58 range once I see activity through air lock.

Are either of these appropriate or should I be doing it differently?

Appreciate your feedback - I'm always looking at ways to improve my fermentation process!
:mug:

The first method is appropriate, the second is not.

Most flavor is produced during the first couple days. So fermenting at a higher temp than you'd like to do the fermentation for the first couple days can produce unwanted flavors. According to Chris White and Jamil Z it's best to pitch a couple degrees cooler the planned fermentation temp and ramp up from there. A longer lag time is not a bad thing, assuming proper sanitation.

Also, pitching warm and then cooling it down that much risks crashing the yeast and causing a stalled fermentation.

Also, keep in mind that the growth phase of the starter can last longer than 24 hours, so by stopping early you are potentially limiting your growth. Pitching your starter during the krausen phase is a viable technique, but not required. I wait until my starter flocs out, crash it, decant the extra liquid, then pitch just the dormant yeast. You can pitch 45 degree yeast into 65 degree wort with no issues. I do it all the time.

Most flavor is produced during the first couple days. So fermenting at a higher temp than you'd like to do the fermentation for the first couple days can produce unwanted flavors. According to Chris White and Jamil Z it's best to pitch a couple degrees cooler the planned fermentation temp and ramp up from there. A longer lag time is not a bad thing, assuming proper sanitation.

Also, pitching warm and then cooling it down that much risks crashing the yeast and causing a stalled fermentation.

Also, keep in mind that the growth phase of the starter can last longer than 24 hours, so by stopping early you are potentially limiting your growth. Pitching your starter during the krausen phase is a viable technique, but not required. I wait until my starter flocs out, crash it, decant the extra liquid, then pitch just the dormant yeast. You can pitch 45 degree yeast into 65 degree wort with no issues. I do it all the time.

Ding ding ding!!

Thanks for the great advice. I'll start lowering my Temps to my fermentation temp first.. Then pitch whether yeast is on stir plate or already chilled in the fridge. I've been scratching my head on this one for a while.

I'm not sure where I read it, maybe "Yeast", but I believe best practice is <10ºF difference between wort & slurry.

Agreed with the above posters. I might add that sudden change in temperature will cause shock excretion from the yeast as they have to rapidly asap to the new environment. Allowing the starter to run to completion and then crashing and pitching the dormant yeast is normally a better option.

See here for details:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2013/03/side-by-side-starters-4-of-4.html

I've done a handful of starters and have not noticed a difference whether I made the starter several days ahead of time, crashed and decanted or if I made it just like 1-2 days ahead of time and left it on the kitchen counter. But, I would suggest that if you do crash/decant to remove it from the fridge at the beginning of your brew process so it has ample time to warm up to room temp prior to pitching.

Back