Pitch a starter after 10 days??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twobrosbrewin

Reaction score
I have a bock that has shown no signs of fermentation, confirmed by the hydrometer. I ordered a yeast starter kit and intended on making a starter and pitching. So I get all the stuff in today and go to take a look in the fridge and see signs (physical) of fermentation. Should I continue with my original plan or save the starter for a new batch and see how this one comes out. I don't know if the yeast has built up a large enough colony to ferment all the way out. I just don't want to ask for anymore problems than I already face with a 10 day lag, but also don't want to waste a starter if its not needed. Thanks.

So let me get this straight.... 10 days and no signs of fermentation? That's scary.... If you now see signs of fermentation, I'd say leave it be. I'm new to this and all, so I'd wait for a response from someone with experience. Though, in 10 days while you're waiting for yeast to grow in numbers, you give a window of opportunity to let bacteria and other fungus grow in that. A fridge can be a pretty dirty place.

What kind of yeast did you use? Did you make a starter? What was your OG?

Wyeast Bavarian Lager, no starter :drunk: (I know better now). The OG was 1.056 and at 8 days it was 1.062, probably a little variation due to temps and mixing. Now there is a nice layer of bubbles on the surface which leads me to believe its fermenting, because it doesn't look like mold. I'll check the grav again in a few days. This is my first lager so I'm still learning what to expect and that a starter is an absolute necessity.

Wyeast Bavarian Lager, no starter :drunk: (I know better now). The OG was 1.056 and at 8 days it was 1.062, probably a little variation due to temps and mixing. Now there is a nice layer of bubbles on the surface which leads me to believe its fermenting, because it doesn't look like mold. I'll check the grav again in a few days. This is my first lager so I'm still learning what to expect and that a starter is an absolute necessity.

This may be an infection, or fermentation by wild yeast. I guess just let it go now, and check it in a week or two. It may be ok, so don't give up yet. I tend to think it's infected, but it's definitely worth checking on.

You might be ok if you just have it in a fridge with no other temperture control. A normal frdge runs 38-42. That yeast strain you used likes it in the mid 40s to as high as upper 50s. It may just be a little cold for that yeast. Which might explain the long lag time. See if you can warm your wort up to th emid 50s and see if fermentation increases.

If it has been in the fridge since you pitched it might just be too cold.
Other than that, I would agree with Yoop..possilbe wild strain. [What else do you have in that fridge?]

And did you say your OG was 1.056 and a subsequent reading said it went UP? to 1.062?

Back