PitBoss TailGater :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeHeavy

Reaction score
I have to vent about My Pit Boss Tailgater. It has been nothing less than a headache with all the repairs I've had to perform. I've owned it just over a year.

It started with a bad ignitor right out of the box, after ½ hour on hold I got to talk to a real person and a new ignitor was on it's way, that took just about a month to get it because it was on back order.

After a few smokes the ignitor failed again or so the tech support thought. A few more phone calls two new ignitors and a new circuit board was on it's way. All of which was on back order. Finally it was working for awhile.

Next up it started making loud clicking noises and kicked out my ground fault. After an investigation I discovered the nylon bushing on the end of the auger cracked and part off it broke off. I was able to get working and after some considerable time spent on hold I was able to get another one sent, (on back order of course.)

The most recent failure is the temperature sensor. I never did get through customer support on the phone, I left a call back number and never got called backed. I did start a case online and after several emails and days gone by I have a temp sensor on order. Back order that is and they don't know when it will be in. I could by one online if I wanted.

Everything has been covered under warranty.

So now I have a useless pellet grill for just over a year and I've only been able to do a ½ dozen smokes on it.

I also spent the big bucks for their grill cover because I wanted my new smoker kept nice for years to come. Shortly after I bought it I've had to sew up seams.

I can't get my money back but maybe I can save someone a few bucks by not buying a Pit Boss
IMG_20200922_183028375_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200922_183037722_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200922_183206497.jpg

so I bought a pit boss earlier this year. the ignitor issue right out of the box. took 6 weeks to get mine. They're coming from china and the whole plandemic thing is partly to blame for shipping times. I did find parts on amazon that folks are having good success with, but that would be out of your pocket. I've only done about 4 smokes on it due to how f'n hot it has been here this summer (PHX). So what I've found is, the damper on top should be open as far as it will go. Mine was overheating due to this. You also have to clean the temp sensor probe after each session. Coming from doing wood and charcoal this is a bit new to me to have to 'wipe' things down. you may actually think about finding aftermarket parts instead of warranty parts, which are all coming from China. overall I'm pleased with it, its a different animal, just got to get past the learning curve.

Just an update.

I bought a temp sensor off the net shortly after my original post. I did receive a temp sensor free of charge from pit boss 2 weeks ago, took a little over a month to get it.
I've done one smoke since I replaced the sensor with the one I bought.

Today I wanted to smoke some ribs and can you believe it, the igniter stopped working. AGAIN!

I'm fed up with this piece of junk. I've had it apart I don't know how many times, I don't even bother putting all the screws back in it.

Not sure what to do with it. Fix it and sell it and let someone else be cursed with it. throw it out on junk day, or fix it one more time and cross my fingers. F**king Junk
'

I've only done about 4 smokes on it due to how f'n hot it has been here this summer (PHX).
:off:But I thought this was interesting as I find myself smoking MORE the hotter it is as I want to keep the cooking heat out of the house.

Sorry about your experience with the Pit Boss though - that would really suck.

have you smoked in 110F+ weather? welcome to PHX summer!
I don't have an air conditioner (evaporative cooler) so when it is over 110F (not as often as in Phoenix, but several times a summer) I am definitely cooking outside somehow.

I bought a brand new PB Austin XL two months ago at Walmart on clearance. The grills been great, no issues yet. But like your cover, mine already has a hole in the top of it. I emailed them hoping they at least send me a new cover, but if the quality is that bad, I'm going to have to find a better option to get through Ohio weather.

Back