Wood-Aged Beer Pirate Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
Brew day went smoothly. OG ended up at 1.070, so about 18ish points from what the recipe is supposed to come to. I dont have a large enough kettle yet for full volume batches, so I mashed with 3.5 gal, sparged with another .5 gal, and then topped up to 5 gal when throwing it in the fermenter. I am wondering if I didn't mix the top up water in well enough when I took the reading? I've noticed that with extract batches quite a bit. Hopefully that's it and it will end up being full strength like the recipe suggests. Oak chips are now soaking in some Kill Devil Pecan Rum from Outer Banks Distilling.

pwortiz

Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Did you mash or steep? The extract should have been a 100% win on final gravity based on my experience. This would be a LOT of grain in a 3.5 gal of water mash. .5 gal, I don't think, would have pulled all your available sugars out. Also, this batch with extract is just as awesome. Pecan rum really sounds awesome!

Reaction score
Did you mash or steep? The extract should have been a 100% win on final gravity based on my experience. This would be a LOT of grain in a 3.5 gal of water mash. .5 gal, I don't think, would have pulled all your available sugars out. Also, this batch with extract is just as awesome. Pecan rum really sounds awesome!
I mashed the 6.5# of grain in the 3.5 gal of water for 60 min based on Brewfather. Added the DME after and brought to a boil. May go all DME next time for simplicity since I don't have a pot big enough for full volume. Still excited to see how it comes out.

AntDoctor

Reaction score
Did you mash or steep? The extract should have been a 100% win on final gravity based on my experience. ... Also, this batch with extract is just as awesome.
When going for an extract version, do you mini-mash the cara-aroma and torrified wheat?

OP
j1laskey

j1laskey

Reaction score
When going for an extract version, do you mini-mash the cara-aroma and torrified wheat?
It was so long ago that I mini mashed it. But I think I did steep for 30 in the extract version of this !

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have whole grains sitting in my garage already measured out for this in a sealed HD bucket. Just need to wait for space in fermenter to clear up...couple of weeks out.

AntDoctor

Reaction score
Look back at the very first post. It was originally posted as an extract brew.
It looks like the original had 5 lb of 2-row? I thought the "extract version" had NO base malt. I didn't realize that malt was just there to convert the other malts!

I think I'll be making some for Xmas gifts this year, quite excited.

ALSO! Isn't Galena an aroma hop, only used for late additions and dry hopping? Why is it boiled for 60 min?

Last edited:

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’d defer to @j1laskey as it is his beer. This is the only recipe I’ve come across that uses Galena, so I’m not certain.

Although it may be a multipurpose one, based on some of the substitutes for Galena, seems like it is more commonly used as a bittering hop,

/shrug

AntDoctor

Reaction score
I’d defer to @j1laskey as it is his beer. This is the only recipe I’ve come across that uses Galena, so I’m not certain.

Although it may be a multipurpose one, based on some of the substitutes for Galena, seems like it is more commonly used as a bittering hop,

/shrug
If it works, it works! EDIT: But I've ONLY seen it listed as an aroma hop, not even dual purpose!

Huh, other sources say it's DEFINITELY a bittering hop. Weird, but whatever! I was going to use galena regardless...

Last edited:

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I usually go off of whatever hopslist or YVH descriptions say. Me thinks another bud light hop experiment might be in order personally.

@j1laskey Question about wlp060. Just wondering if that is still your yeast of choice for this beer. I’ve only very recently started using liquid yeast so have only used US-05 for the two batches of this that I’ve done.

OP
j1laskey

j1laskey

Reaction score
I usually go off of whatever hopslist or YVH descriptions say. Me thinks another bud light hop experiment might be in order personally.

@j1laskey Question about wlp060. Just wondering if that is still your yeast of choice for this beer. I’ve only very recently started using liquid yeast so have only used US-05 for the two batches of this that I’ve done.
The last few batches I've made of this I have been using WLP090. San Diego Super Yeast.