Pirate Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a label. Now I suppose I need to get a recipe together. Dark Stout...Caribbean Rum...Can't go wrong can ya?
Black_Pearl_copy.jpg

looks good, but it seems the font washes out with the water. Perhaps giving the font an outer glow or a better stroke color like white or something.

wow ... that just sounds awesome. lemme know how it turns out.

How about adding a hint of coconut too??

Coconut Rum Stout ... I could go for a taste of that right about now.

Coconut Rum! That was my initial intention. I was afraid it would suck...but if it sounds good to you guys too, I'm in. It is currently #3 on the list but I might make it beside a SMaSH as it will surely be dark enough to forgo the secondary, but I have all the fixen's for the Bananas Foster Dunkle. So that is first.
I WILL post back.:cross:
If there is a more exciting hoby...I'll pass. My heart couldn't take it.

Great label how does the print out look?

Chocolate and coconut mixes well, get a Youngs Chocolate Stout and try adding some coconut rum to it to see how well it fares, its all in the name of research :)

[EDIT: found the link]

have you ever had Pyrat XO before? It's an amazing sipping rum & priced extremely modest if you can find it. I've found it in NV, AZ, DC and VA. (ok, so I like the stuff!) I'll bet Pyrat rum melds well in Pirate Stout...

If you do the coconut thing, please don't wuss out and use Malibu or some other garbage. Maybe a "dry hop" of coconut shavings?

Tonight I do the Research!
New Belgium 1554 Black ale. (NO IT"S NOT A REAL STOUT)
Appleton Estates Rum (The $11.00 Bottle(No its not REAL RUM))
Malibu. Yes Malibu.

I will not make a 1554 clone, I will use Real Rum, and I will NOT Use Malibu... But this is, as they say, PROOF OF CONCEPT.

I am on #3, and I am pissed that the LHBS is 100 miles away, and not open at 11pm! Butt Heads. I Just bumped this to #1 on the "TO BREW" list...and I'm so excited I'm shaking. This could make me famous!:rockin:

And Yes, I have 2 liquor stores that I shop that carry the Pirate Xo. Both in Colorado Springs.

I like the original Black Peral Pirate Stout Logo. It reminds me of ye olden days. Maybe you can use the same colors for the bottom as you used for the top. Also, the bottom right hand corner is a bit tough to read.

Have you printed one out to see how it will actually look?

I really like that second logo. The change from the first to the second is great! It has a nice pop to it. Great job.

Being one that loves the stout more than anything else, I think bottling stout with rum sounds awesome! How much of a splash are you talking about? Good enough of a splash to get us seriously wasted and talking like pirates? :tank:

I would love to see the recipe sometime if you'd like to share.

TheGAC said:
Good enough of a splash to get us seriously wasted and talking like pirates? :tank:
I would love to see the recipe sometime if you'd like to share.
Check my Recipe below my avitar. It is a derivation of a stout that I made about 8 years ago. It was great then, should be great now.
If we use 2 750ML bottles of 40% Rum, we should end up at about 7%. I am thinking of adding some Light extract or some Candi Sugar to up the fermentables.

BakerStreeBeers said:
I am as well. I would also like to know more about debaniels Banana Foster Dunkel.
No stout yet...the Dunkle is going to bottle on Saturday. It has a lot more banana (Natural) than I thought it would. I was planning on a 750 ML of Banana Rum...It's not going to take that much i dont' think.

I Will Post for sure.

Here is what I was thinking...Not sure if it's technically a stout, but close enough for me.
I think I'm going to need to convert to AG. I have 3 more AG batches ahead of this, but it should brew by the beginning or middle of August.

7 ½# Dark LME
½# Roasted Barley
3/4# Black Patent Malt
½# Crystal Malt 60L
½# Torified Wheat
1 1/2 oz Northern Boiling Hops
1 package of ale yeast.

Steep Grains to 165, Then remove and add LME, Bring to Boil. Add Hops for 60 minutes, cool and pitch yeast.
Rack onto 3 cups grated Confectioners Coconut, and let it sit for 10 days. Be carefull to avoid the oil that will be on top of the beer when racking to bottle bucket.
Bottle with 5 oz Priming sugar and 1 1/2 Litre of Rum. Appleton Estates.

Rack onto 3 cups grated Confectioners Coconut, and let it sit for 10 days. Be carefull to avoid the oil that will be on top of the beer when racking to bottle bucket.
Bottle with 5 oz Priming sugar and 1 1/2 Litre of Rum. Appleton Estates.

this may be a noobie kinda question, but wouldn't that much rum bring the alcohol content too high for the yeast to carbonate the beer, being over the toxicity level of the yeast (depending on what yeast you use of course)

Also, I wonder if using dried coconut shavings would work better, that oil is going to kill your head retention.

this may be a noobie kinda question, but wouldn't that much rum bring the alcohol content too high for the yeast to carbonate the beer, being over the toxicity level of the yeast (depending on what yeast you use of course)

Also, I wonder if using dried coconut shavings would work better, that oil is going to kill your head retention.
Good Point on both. My math skills suck, but I figure 1 1/2 ltr of rum will add less than 2% ABV. I have done it before (Bananas on the Beach in "My Recipe") and it carbed just fine.

I think I'm going to actually toast some dry coconut in the oven just before adding to the beer...and I'm only going to do 1/2 the batch with the coconut, just in case....

I think I'm going to actually toast some dry coconut in the oven just before adding to the beer...and I'm only going to do 1/2 the batch with the coconut, just in case....

That sounds about right, I predict that the coconut one will taste awesome, but you'll lose out on the head.

OK ... I finally have the ingredients now for the hallowed Coconut Rum Stout! I plan to brew this in about 3 weeks when my other 2 Fall brews are through the vessels.

I plan to use an actual coconut -- into the SECONDARY I'll dry-hop shaved coconut meat (I love that term) which will 1st be lightly toasted in the oven, and perhaps even add some of the milk in as well. It should be sterile from being naturally in the coconut, no?

I also plan to add 13oz of Cruzan Single Barrel Estate rum (my favorite sippin' rum) to the Secondary.

I'll leave the "Pirate" nomenclature to BigKahuna for originally, and inadvertantly, crafting this idea for me.

Any other random thoughts out there? I really can't wait for this one ... I've been wanting to try this now for months!!

This thread is what made me join home brew talk, so congratulations all of you. This recipe moved right up behind the pumpkin ale I'm about to brew. My mind is having trouble grasping how this thing would taste...other than amazing. A couple of questions come to mind however. First, what temp and how long are you planning on toasting the coconut? The second thing that I noticed was that beergorila was only planning on adding 13 oz of rum, which is about a quarter of what BigK was originally projecting. I really enjoy my rum, so I would probably lean toward at least a fifth, and since I'll be force carbing I'm not too worried about overdoing it. The last thing I wanted to know is how long did you let it sit in the secondary before bottling? Hope this stirs up some more convo on the subject. This may be something for a different post, but has anyone ever tried adding amaretto to a stout? I recently had a flaming dr pepper, and was wondering if you could infuse some of that flavor into a beer.

The last thing I wanted to know is how long did you let it sit in the secondary before bottling?

I actually didn't use a secondary, but I did let it sit 5-6 days extra in the primary, for a total of 11 days. I have no comparison to this method for this beer, as I only brewed it once. But it was a HUGE hit. As soon as it was ready- it was gone in two nights. My biggest hit so far.

Toastermm, what was your final gravity when you brewed this? Mine is coming out higher than i expected, but i'd love another point of reference.

Thanks

First, what temp and how long are you planning on toasting the coconut? The second thing that I noticed was that beergorila was only planning on adding 13 oz of rum, which is about a quarter of what BigK was originally projecting. I really enjoy my rum, so I would probably lean toward at least a fifth, and since I'll be force carbing I'm not too worried about overdoing it.

I'm thinking of toasting the coconut shavings for 4-5 minutes in the toaster oven on high. I'll keep an eye on it the whole time, and pull it if the color starts getting tan.

As for the amount of rum ... I love rum second only to beer, but figured on adding only a hint. I may re-think it again, but I based the 13oz on two things: 1) I added 20oz Maker's Mark to my Bourbon Barrel Porter and it's definitely a pronounced flavor (certainly not overpowering, but unmistakeable). 2) I can be superstitious at times & I just had a sour batch at bottling after 4 weeks of brewing/waiting, so this is my feeble attempt at backwards jinxing the target batch I've really been wanting to try ever since getting into all this!

Lemme know how much you end up going with ... I'm interested to know!

Toastermm, what was your final gravity when you brewed this? Mine is coming out higher than i expected, but i'd love another point of reference.

Thanks

Sorry, school was taking over my life- actually still there this evening. BUT when I get back home tonight, I will look it up edit it in this post.

Edit; the final gravity was 1.011 and was steady for two days.

OK, just FINALLY cracked open my 1st bottle of my long awaited version of Coconut Rum Stout.

I used 2 lbs of shredded (thoroughly rinsed) coconut shavings, 2 cans of coconut milk, and 15oz of Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum. The inside top of the secondary was thickly layered in an amazing coconut crust. Coconut filled the air for several weeks of fermenting.

So with the first sip, my only thought: Ummmmm ... where the HELL is the coconut??

There is about ZERO coconut taste or scent. Very little trace of rum. It's a tasty stout, but with the amount of planning, ingredients and anticipation I expected something for the fruits of labor... What the heck?!?

That's disappointing to hear. Is it possible that the coconut shavings never got mixed in with the beer? Were they floating the entire time they were in the fermenter?

Even if that's true, the coconut milk and rum should have mixed in thoroughly. This is quite the mystery.

I know it goes against our instincts sometimes but this is a reason why I'll sometimes choose a flavor extract over the real thing. For instance, maple extract over maple syrup, and if I ever decide to do a coconut rum stout of my own, I'll use coconut extract. So often when the real thing includes fermentable sugar you just never know exactly what you'll get. Even my fruit beer used fruit puree + fruit extract.

Back