Pipette Sanitation for Refractometer Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of people use pipettes to extract beer from their carboys during fermentation or just prior to fermentation when wort is at its most vulnerable state.

What pipettes do you use? Do you buy the individually wrapped sterile plastic ones or did you use a glass one? If so, how do you sterilize it? The bulk pack plastic ones that aren't sterile are so cheap. Is there a way to sterilize these?

Which ones do you use and where did you buy them? Just trying to figure out the best product to use. Thanks!

Sanitize...that is what we are doing. We aren't sterilizing anything. Just sanitize it the way you would sanitize any of your other equipment (starsan, iodophor, etc).

And yes, I use just the cheap plastic ones.

I use the cheapo plastic pipette that came with my refractometer. Right after I use it, I rinse it with hot water, followed by star san (which I always have handy while brewing). Mostly, though, it doesn't matter much because I take my samples before it gets to the cold side, and on the cold side I always take my refractometer samples from my hydrometer sample.

Back