Pipeline establishment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103238

Reaction score
After today, it feels like the pipeline has been officially established. There's some residual Caribou Slobber remaining in the closet, the Phat Tyre was ready today (and quite delicious as well), racked the Midnight Porter into the secondary onto some cold steeped coffee, and brewed a full volume batch of AK47 pale mild this morning. Both the porter and the mild will be ready to condition and carb in the kegs I picked up last Sunday as part of the keezer project I'm working on. This afternoon I also helped a friend brew 10 gallons of IPA - what a brewfully great day. Brew on!!

Nicely done!! Now that I've got the ball rolling, I would like to try to brew once a month. Looking to start breaking free from the extract kits and experimenting with some BIAB batches.

heckler73 said:
I'm at eight batches since starting brewing at home in December.

buy in small bulk.
The buy in bulk idea is intimidating to a new brewer and sometimes is simply not an option.

when you buy a kit , buy a bag malt
buy 6 oz of hops even if you are only using 2.
when you buy a kit with steeping grains buy a extra pound of each of those grains.

basicly buy 1.5 times what you need every time. In a couple months you'll be rolling that inventory over, not buying every batch and that pipeline will be humming along.

I second buying in bulk. Hops, grain, starsan, washing and reusing yeast. It all helps to lower costs and to brew more often.

beerloaf

Yes, happiness is a pipeline. :D Plus the six in the keezer/kegger. I'm good. Of course you want to start buying in bulk. Especially base malts. 50# bags of 2-row, will always be your friend.

2011-12-30_17-25-51_932.jpg

I have 10 ready in bottles, though two are on the last sixers, I have two batches in conditioning, and two batches fermenting.

Not nearly enough! :drunk:

Brew on! :rockin:

That's a great idea. LHBS has a decent selection following their Christmas rush, so I'll be looking to build up my personal stash.

amandabab said:
buy in small bulk.
The buy in bulk idea is intimidating to a new brewer and sometimes is simply not an option.

when you buy a kit , buy a bag malt
buy 6 oz of hops even if you are only using 2.
when you buy a kit with steeping grains buy a extra pound of each of those grains.

basicly buy 1.5 times what you need every time. In a couple months you'll be rolling that inventory over, not buying every batch and that pipeline will be humming along.

I've done starters on the last 3 batches, and after seeing the thick slurry of yeast I poured off from the porter yesterday, I couldn't help but think how cost effective it would be to wash and reuse yeast. Especially at $6-10/bag.

beerloaf said:
I second buying in bulk. Hops, grain, starsan, washing and reusing yeast. It all helps to lower costs and to brew more often.

beerloaf

Back