Pinterest....for homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
Anybody out there using Pinterest?

I created an account a couple weeks ago: http://pinterest.com/homebrewacademy/

At first I didn't know what the hell I would use it for. All I saw on the site were cookie recipes and women's shoes. As it turns out though, it's pretty useful for homebrewing.

I made a board for my Brutus 10 build on there and it's been a life saver for keeping track of links. You can follow any board by going to its page. I've got a few other boards with resources, favorite gadgets, and am thinking about making one for recipes (anybody interested in contributing?).

So what do you think? Useful social media site or just the flavor of the week?

I still can't figure it out. As far as I can tell, it's just a time management black hole for my wife. For information management I use tools like Springpad, or... The lowly bookmark.

I have never dealt with it at all but as for my wife, she lives on it. Although she did say she was going to look and see if there were any designs for bottle labels she could find. Does anyone know if they have those?

i asked my wife if she would add me so i could look for brewing material. i don't get the pintrest thing yet but if there are items for the homebrewer, count me in!

i asked my wife if she would add me so i could look for brewing material.

Good point. PM me your email if anyone wants an invite, although I'm pretty sure you don't need one if you join through facebook. You can go to your FB news feed and probably find someone posting on Pinterest and join that way.

I'd much rather see this site develop the brewspace idea full on (keep it in house)

We would all have label, equipment and recipe section that could be liked or tagged and you could search the brewspace by most liked and even by label size or recipe catagory. It could even be another top tier to the payment system to offset the cost.

Finally, add a brewmap so that you can look at a google map-like view and see who brews around you, where local stores are, and where breweries are. I think that would take our site to the next level and on par with something like facebook or pinterest.

Just my opinion but as everyone else posts, pinterest seems to simply take 3 ours out of our wives' lives. HBT could recreate the link idea but I understand time, staff and cost constraints that come with any site

Not sure why but pintrist seems to be for women but reddit seems like its for men... No idea why! But maybe we start a reddit page?

women love pinterest. my gf sent me an invite. i can't figure it out...

Haha I didn't realize I would be emasculated in this thread.

To me, Pinterest is all about the visual aspect. I'm a visual person. I'd rather store my links with pictures than bookmarks. Plus for some reason I just enjoy looking at pictures of beer.

Here's the beer search page on there: http://pinterest.com/search/?q=beer

i'm a visual person too... the site looks nice and honestly i haven't really spent much time on it. funny, Reese Witherspoon was on conan last night talking about pinterest and how it seems it's mainly for women... http://justjared.buzznet.com/2012/02/15/reese-witherspoon-pinterest-obsessed/

Finally, add a brewmap so that you can look at a google map-like view and see who brews around you, where local stores are, and where breweries are. I think that would take our site to the next level and on par with something like facebook or pinterest

Great Idea- I have always wanted an ap on my phone or even a search engine that I could plot directions from say my home in Seaside CA to my buddies home in in Vancouver, WA that would display breweries along the way with links to their websites and ratings. Kinda like the google maps ap on my iphone that would drop pins on breweries along the way. Not every brewery just ones that are close to my route (within a range I set of my path) It's probably out there and I just don't know.

tsimo33 said:
I have never dealt with it at all but as for my wife, she lives on it. Although she did say she was going to look and see if there were any designs for bottle labels she could find. Does anyone know if they have those?

Look on etsy.com, I've seen plenty there.

Look on etsy.com, I've seen plenty there.

Hey I buy art from there, it's really good stuff. I'm still trying to figure out this pinterest thing though. From what I can tell it's like a shopping cart from different websites? So people can see what all you're buying or something? I'm probably lost haha....

Hey I buy art from there, it's really good stuff. I'm still trying to figure out this pinterest thing though. From what I can tell it's like a shopping cart from different websites? So people can see what all you're buying or something? I'm probably lost haha....

Shopping is a big part of it but there are other uses, like sharing content. Have a look at the homebrew tips and top blog post boards that I made. My friend is even using it for beer reviews: http://pinterest.com/hoptopia/

I'm on pinterest and I'm not a woman . . . I AM an artist though. It's ok. I good place for brew shots. Searching BEER you get a LOT of ultra cool photos.

Termous. Search Melotte photo imagery.

Calichusetts said:
Finally, add a brewmap so that you can look at a google map-like view and see who brews around you, where local stores are, and where breweries are.

Check out www.brewshuffle.com. The site is still in the early phases of development but as soon as people starr joining it will be a great way to.swap homebrews with people living right by you.

haha. I actually stumbled onto pinterest when I was looking for DIY instructions on how to build a brick smoker. Pinterest is tumblr for women, but I don't care. I still like it.

Lol I registered for pinterest yesterday because my wife keeps talking about it. She is making her own soap now and all sorts of other stuff. First thing I searched was 'homebrew' obviously.

I'm trying to log all the beers that I've had on Pinterest. I've got three boards: Beers I Love, Beers I Don't Love, and Beers I Want to Seek Out.

ive been waiting on an invite from Gentlemint.com Has more manly stuff like EDC items, beer, bacon recipes, etc. Unfortunately I have not got a invite yet :(

Back